Default Getting ready to purchase crib-Do I need those toddler rails?

Ordering the conversion kit with the Toddler rail for the crib we are going to buy is a extra $100.00 which I would rather spend on other things. If I do order the kit I was told that I should order it when I order the crib in case the manufacturer decides to discontinue the crib. Seems like a lot to spend to put this rail in storage for 18 months or so. I have seen these mesh railings with a metal rail that you can purchase at BRU or Wal-Mart. THey cost a lot less money than the matching rails for the crib. Are they a good substitute for the matching crib toddler rail. Can they be used if you have a convertible crib that you change to a toddler day bed? Are they safe???

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think the mesh rails are fine, but they don't work on all beds. Most of them require a box spring and a mattress to attach securely. IKEA has some that don't need a box spring, and just clamp on to the side of the bed, but I don't know if they work with non-IKEA beds. I don't think I've ever seen a crib box spring (?)

The biggest issue I see is that for some cribs, the rails are required to convert the crib, otherwise it's not structurally sound without the crib sides. If yours doesn't need the rails to be stable, though, then go for it.

You could also just get the crib, skip the rails, and then when you're done transition your DC right to a twin bed. That's what we did with DD1, and it worked beautifully.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No, you probably don't need the rail. Lots of kids don't have them and do fine. You could also use the 'pool noodle under the sheet' method.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    I think the mesh rails are fine, but they don't work on all beds. Most of them require a box spring and a mattress to attach securely. IKEA has some that don't need a box spring, and just clamp on to the side of the bed, but I don't know if they work with non-IKEA beds. I don't think I've ever seen a crib box spring (?)

The biggest issue I see is that for some cribs, the rails are required to convert the crib, otherwise it's not structurally sound without the crib sides. If yours doesn't need the rails to be stable, though, then go for it.

You could also just get the crib, skip the rails, and then when you're done transition your DC right to a twin bed. That's what we did with DD1, and it worked beautifully.
    This is what happened to us. DH wanted to give DS2 the crib and get DS1 a big bed before DS2 arrived. I refused because I do night duty alone and I wanted to know DS1 would stay in his bed all night while I was doing sleepless newborn nights with DS2. When we finally went to buy the bed rails from Stanley YA they had switched the designs and our conversion rails were no longer available. We couldn't use our crib as a bed without them so we had to buy a toddler bed that didn't match his set.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was able to buy the toddler rail for our Boavita Peyton 5yr after we bought the crib. We never used the crib as a bed for DD1 so we didn't need it but D2 is a tiny thing and we were able to use this crib as a toddler bed and got lucky that the rail was still available. We looked at some of the other cheaper alternatives but like PP said many don't work if your crib doesn't meet certain specifications.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

My mother says that when my brother and I were born in the 80'swe went right from a crib to a twin bed with no issues. She says this was the way it was done all the time with no problems. She thinks these toddler beds are a waste. The authors of the Baby Bargins book also say the same thing. I will never use the option to convert to a double bed since my bedrooms are small. I could use the money I would spend on this toddler rail towards a twin bed mattress instead.