Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which ergo (or beco) for our 22lb 15 month old?

I'd like to find something simple and not too expensive (100-120) for my DH to use with our 15 month old who adores her carrier for back carries. He's using a baby hawk with her on the front, but it's not so super great for his lower back, which already has issues. I'm thinking an ergo, or maybe a beco, but I'm not sure which model (performance? Organic)for a baby this age and weight. Thanks!

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We carried our DS1 in a Beco Butterfly II and an Ergo Performance on our back. If we wanted a lighter weight carrier because it was hot out or we were traveling we picked the Ergo. If we wanted more support for DS1 we grabbed the Beco. It has a higher panel so if your DC is a leaner the Beco may be a better choice. We were both happy with both of them.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I only have a Beco Gemini and I agree it has lots of support, I got it for DD and at 8 months can hardly feel her weight (15 pounds), but I used it a couple of times with DS at 37 pounds to test it, and was able to carry him up a flight of stairs even.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm an Ergo person for about 5 months old and up, but don't love the shorter body & fairly bulky straps of the Ergo when compared with the Boba 3G.

The Boba straps lay a bit flatter ... and, as a bonus, the belt (which should really sit on the hips in a back carry) adjusts to accommodate a lot more waist/hip sizes than the Ergo does.

If your baby is tall in the torso, go with a longer-bodied carrier - Boba, KinderPack, Olives & Applesauce, Tula - over the Ergo.

I tried the Gemini once and do love it quite a bit, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a 22-lb older babe.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Hm. My little one is pretty petite.

We had a boba which I liked, but the "padded" portion of the strap seemed to be pretty short, so it kind of chafed for both my DH and I around the armpits. I also didn't like that the legs weren't padded for DD.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sophie80 View Post
    Hm. My little one is pretty petite.

We had a boba which I liked, but the "padded" portion of the strap seemed to be pretty short, so it kind of chafed for both my DH and I around the armpits. I also didn't like that the legs weren't padded for DD.
    Beco is about to release their new carrier, the Soleil, and it has padding for the LO's legs. May want to check it out. It will be available in April.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Aren't there carriers that work better for older/heavier toddlers? DS is 18 months, and I'm feeling like the Beco isn't as great now that he's getting bigger. If she's already that old then maybe you want something that you can use longer too.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    Aren't there carriers that work better for older/heavier toddlers? DS is 18 months, and I'm feeling like the Beco isn't as great now that he's getting bigger. If she's already that old then maybe you want something that you can use longer too.
    I used the Ergo from 5 months (front carries; we started back carrying at about 10 months & 20-ish lbs) through 32 months when I bought a Toddler sized KinderPack.

The KinderPack is longer in the body and wider in the base than my Ergo. I think even a Standard KP is wider, but I might go with a Toddler over a Standard if I expected to get more time out of it.

The Tula is another option that might suit an older baby better than the Ergo as well.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

My nephew is about 15 months, and my sister just traded her ergo for a kinderpack. He's about the size of my 18 month old, and she felt like she needed a larger carrier.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

For a 22 lbs baby I wouldn't get a Beco. They are probably just about to outgrow it. I stopped using the Beco at about 20 lbs and now use a standard Kinderpack, which has lots of growing room. We have plus sized straps on our Kinderpack.

The Ergo will probably be fine for your DH. I think they usually fit men better than women, usually. The back is pretty short though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast