Default Temporary 3 across in Subaru Outback 2012

Well, given the Outback thread in the Lounge, maybe this is a timely post as it does seem there are a few Outback owners around.

We are visiting my sister in 2 weeks and since she has to work the day after we arrive, we are thinking about taking our 2 boys and niece out to some fun kid places. The tricky part is that we'll need to fit 3 car seats in our 2012 Outback. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this can be done? The kids and seats are:

DS1 3.5 yo, 36 lbs, FF in SecureKid 300
    DN 2 yo, FF in Evenflo Symphony 65 (I know I'd prefer to have her RF - but she gets extremely upset when RF and this distracts my sister while she's driving so she's FF)
    DS2 18 mo, RF in Classic Marathon

I'm inclined to try DS1 in the center with the other seats in the outboard positions. Maybe I can RF DN for this trip.

When I've done 3 across for the sitters car I've installed in the center position - marked on the seat belt where a good tight install is. Removed, installed in outboard positions and ensured a tight fit, then reinstalled the center seat, making sure to get the seatbelt back to the same position it was originally in.

I'd love any suggestions you have! TIA!

Is this my opportunity to sell DH on the Ride Safer vest for DS1 - I've been REALLY tempted to get one due to the flexibility, but keep putting it off because we don't NEED it.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Well a RideSafer is cheaper than a Radian... No one's quite old enough for a bubble bum, that would be my next suggestion. RS kid can sit in the middle with little or no room to wiggle out of position and a place to lean (FF seat) if a nap happens.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Well a RideSafer is cheaper than a Radian... No one's quite old enough for a bubble bum, that would be my next suggestion. RS kid can sit in the middle with little or no room to wiggle out of position and a place to lean (FF seat) if a nap happens.
    I guess our other option is to use Stachio's SecureKid 300 from my car for DN. That would be the cheapest option...and I think I could get all 3 in (at least I could try it out prior to going).

But DH and I talked at lunch and he might be up for the RSTV. Stachio will be going by train to St. Louis with my mom this summer. I guess I never thought about carseats on trains, but regardless, they will need a seat once they get to St. Louis.

If we have the RSTV I can send that along on that trip and it will be much easier to handle for my mom and sister once they get to St. Louis. Then they won't have to mess with taking a seat on the train and installing it at the train station in my sister's car.
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just ordered the ride safer vest 3 (the one that adjusts the height of the torso but doesn't have a tether) and it will be here tomorrow. This is to do a 3 across in DH's horrible car. I'll check the fit on both DS1 (4.5, 40lbs, 43") and DS2 (almost 3, 40", 37lb) and will post a review.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    I just ordered the ride safer vest 3 (the one that adjusts the height of the torso but doesn't have a tether) and it will be here tomorrow. This is to do a 3 across in DH's horrible car. I'll check the fit on both DS1 (4.5, 40lbs, 43") and DS2 (almost 3, 40", 37lb) and will post a review.
    Yay! I'm looking forward to your review. I think Stachio is about the same height and weight at your DS2.

We're still not 100% sure we'll go with the RSTV, but it is an option we're looking at. I'm struggling with trying to figure out if we want the RSTV 2 or RSTV 3.

Our other option is to install both of Stachio's SecureKid 300's and just use them for Stachio and DN for this trip.
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Oh yeah, for a train trip, the RSTV would be great. I hope there's a sale on them or something for you (try the swap board at car-seat.org, the items sold there are often *very* gently used, there's general mutiny when anyone shady tries to sell anything shady there, so seats are safe to buy used).
    I'm sending dd on a train trip with grandma this summer! I've got to get her proficient at inflating and buckling her bubble bum...
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

FWIW, Babby, we have a RSTV for each kid (and had the old silver one for DS1 as well). We love nearly everything about them for travel (except the slightly longer time to get them installed and what the head flop when they fall asleep). My DS2 is nearly 6... and not much bigger than your 'Stachio. (44 inches, 38 lbs). The non-adjustable smaller sized, tethered RSTV fits him reasonably well, with some extra play in the crossed straps at the back. It positions the seatbelt perfectly. The old silver kind, even in the smaller size would be too big for him still (in case you'd consider buying one of those used).