Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Girl Color" Shoes for a Boy

My soon to be 5 year old son picked out a pair of Keens Newports online. He choose this pair:

They are the Hot Coral color.

They look burnt orange online, which would have been perfect. They came today and are salmon colored, salmon pink, definitely not orange. He says that they are still his choice, even if not what he expected, but I am worried he will change his mind after he wears them.

I'm leaning towards keeping them, but curious what others would do.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'd keep them if he still likes them.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Quote Originally Posted by fedoragirl View Post
    I'd keep them if he still likes them.

Pink is quite a popular footwear color (shoes, socks, shoelaces) for boys in my 5th grade class!
    Green Tea, mom to three

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I would let him keep them if I felt confident he wouldn't stop wearing them just because someone says something negative.

Ds2 has been wearing bright purple shoes for nearly a year. No one has said anything. He is also in a liking pink phase.

When Ds1 was younger he had a pair of red crocs that faded a bit from the sun, and we got rude comments about a boy in pink shoes. But only from adults! He did also get called her or she a few times and didn't have long hair or anything. I'm not sure it registered with him at his age, but we sure heard them.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I like them. I don't think they'd be a big deal at all in DD's preschool where a lot of boys are on the 4/5 line.

If you have a husband, I'd ask him his opinion, and if he objects, I'd respect that. Nifty looking shoes but not worth a fight, and men have strong feelings on this topic sometimes...... not saying that fathers should set gender normative rules for sons in general, but, I do think his vote counts for a pair of shoes that you're considering returning anyway.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hmm, if the actual salmon pink color was his choice I'd say let him wear them but since you both chose the color based on this photo (which is great color) and not what you received, I'd return and let him choose another. Unless he now really loves this pair rather than just going along with it since he figured he chose them.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like them too, and would let ds wear them if they are still his choice. I think the salmon color can just be called preppy :-)
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think they are fin. Its summer. Bright colors are in < and I have 4 boys one of which loves all things in the shade of orange>
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd exchange them unless you are sure he will like and wear them all summer. Because Keens are not cheap! I would be upset if my kids changed their mind after wearing a few times and I couldn't return at that point. If he insists he loves the color and will wear them all summer then keep.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Keep them says the mom whose DS just outgrew his pink and purple crocs...
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast