niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default When do you replace washing machine and dryer

Dh bought the washing machine and dryer 12 yrs ago, but they've only been used for 8 yrs (soon after got them, DH moved to place with washing machine/dryer so they were in storage). Over the years we've had small things break - the starter button, build up of lint inside machine made dryer stop working etc. Today the coils of the dryer had to be replaced as no heat and the washing machine agitator wasn't turning properly - didn't know that until repairman tested it. Total repair $300.

I had them fixed as don't want to spend a lot more money on new machines right now, and I just don't have time to deal with getting replacements. If I replaced them I'll be looking at about $1K for top loader and dryer and closer to $2k for fancy color matching pair of front loaders. If we ever do work on laundry room, I'd want a stacking pair.

But at what point should I look at replacing.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd look at replacing when they get unreliable, risk flooding or fires, no longer clean/dry well or face expensive repairs that don't make sense vs the cost of new. I do 10+ loads of laundry a week and just don't have the time or energy for laundry shenanigans.

FWIW you can definitely get a matching pair of front loaders for less than $2k, especially if you're willing to watch prices for a little while instead of rushing out to replace an appliance that just bit the dust.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would probably wait as long as possible until you know for sure that you are going to build a laundry area that will accommodate a stackable front loader pair or if you move out if the area and buy a new place to see what it's laundry capabilities are. What kind of warranty/guarantee does the repairman have?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)