Thread: Workout WWYD

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Workout WWYD

I'm *just* starting to workout and track calories. As in, I went for my first walk (with some jogging thrown in) on Wednesday and then did Week1 Day1 of C25K on Thursday. I downloaded MFP today and logged in my food and exercise starting today. I have a long way to go. I haven't exercised in a very long time and have a lot of weight to lose.

A friend joined a boot camp that meets at a good time in the park that's within easy walking distance. I'd like to give it a try, but I'm really, really, really out of shape. I started walking/jogging the other day just so I would be in shape enough to make it through boot camp when I give it a try in a few weeks! I know that they jog around the entire park and there's no way that I'd make it right now.

So, my dilemma. I just found out that next week is "bring a buddy to camp" week. I'm not in much better shape today than I was 2 days ago (imagine that!) and there's no way I can jog around the park as a warm-up. The boot camp is on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I think that I'm allowed to attend all of the days next week, but it might just be one day.

DD has a field trip on Tuesday. I'm chaperoning and I'll be doing a lot of walking on the field trip. Like, lots. I'm a little worried that I'd be too sore on Tuesday if I try the boot camp on Monday.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Go ahead and try to do it or wait until I don't have to worry about completely embarrassing myself? If I go for it, should I wait until after the field trip? As far as I know, the "buddy week" happens once every 5 week session. And I can do a trial class for free at any time.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm in the same shape right now and I think I would wait on starting boot camp!

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

I really want to say go for it, but in reality, I think you should hold off. I'd look at this as more of a long-term lifestyle change. Don't rush into doing too much at once, it would be really east to overdo it and burn out.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd find out more about the bootcamp. I've been going to bootcamp for over a year now and there are all levels of fitness there. The instructor does a good job of tailoring the workout for each person's individual level/needs. I find that a group workout like bootcamp is a great motivator for me and keeps me coming back and keeps me excited about it.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd go. I'm sure you won't be the only one who can't jog the whole thing and needs to walk. But, you might find with the right motivation that you can go farther than you expect.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I'd go. I'm sure you won't be the only one who can't jog the whole thing and needs to walk. But, you might find with the right motivation that you can go farther than you expect.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would def go and try it. The whole purpose is to get in shape so there will be others not in shape and the instructor should be able to modify as needed.
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Go. Don't wait to be in shape to start exercising. No one will be looking at you, everyone is focusing on themselves.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Your field trip on Tuesday gives me pause. I'm new to working out and have overdone it a couple of times, and was useless the rest of the day and the next day. Not just soreness, but also sleepy to the point of almost falling asleep driving and not being able to think straight. I still fall asleep at 8pm every Friday since starting to work out 3x/week. This morning, I ran/walked a 5K and was completely useless the rest of the day even with a 2hr nap.

That said, I'd love to try a bootcamp! I probably wouldn't do it the day before the field trip you described...