KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default If your DC has an email account

is it with a special kid-friendly provider? If so, which one? If not, do you filter the messages or have tight parental controls? tia
    K

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Both girls have gmail accounts but they don't know the passwords and everything that goes to their accounts also comes to mine. I know DD2 (5 yo) doesn't know hers and I doubt DD1 (9yo) knows her's either but she might. I tell them when they have e-mails. Currently, only my parents have DD2's address and my parents and DD1's best friend has hers.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes mine has a kmail (kids mail.org) account thats tightly controlled and no spam. She also has a 'texting' account she uses for messaging on her IPOD. Thats a gmail account set up in my name. She never looks at email on it and doesn't know how. To tell the truth she does a lot more messaging than email, but the inlaws love emailing her from UK.
    Lucy DD3/03

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

DD1 has a yahoo account. I set it up when she was an infant and I needed it for yahoo groups. The only thing it is connected to is her frequent flier cards for airline travel. I have never sent an email from it. I don't even check it.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bumping for any other options
    K

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, DH hosts a web server for his business and older DD has e-mail hosted at his site. So her address is [email protected]

Because it's our server, he sees all incoming and outgoing mail. We check and read through her mail periodically.

If we did not have this option, then we would have something like gmail and make sure we have the password.

She didn't really "need" e-mail until about 5th grade. But since then she does use it a fair bit for school assignments (group project work) and also just for social interactions with friends.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD has an email account from comcast that is one of our 5 accounts. I have it linked to my phone and desktop email programs, so I check it all the time. She only emails with one of her friends and with her grandparents so far on her iPod, but I like being able to completely manage her email account myself.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids both have gmail accounts that we set up this year. The idea was for them to email with their grandparents and aunts and uncles. There was an option when I set it up for all the emails to be sent to another email as well, so every email they get also gets sent to my inbox.

DS, entering 4th grade next fall, is just starting to find friends who also have emails, so will soon start having more email conversations, for better or worse. They can sign onto their accounts on their own, but they don't spend too much time on their computers, often email sits for weeks before they see it (if I forget to mention they received something).
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Colwyn and Lachlann have accounts with zilladog.net. We pay about $20 a year, I think, but they can only get emails from approved email addresses. It's also a portal to various kid-friendly websites.