Nemesia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Arm's Reach vs. Lotus Bassinet or other

I just heard about the Guava Lotus Bassinet thanks to these boards! I am due in August, and plan to breastfeed. I was thinking we'd get the mini Arm's Reach co-sleeper, to make nighttime feedings easier, but now I'm wondering if the Lotus Bassinet would be more versatile. There isn't a lot of information about it on their website, but based on the photo and video I think it might work.

Any thoughts from experienced mamas out there? Thanks!

Tea4two is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I haven't used either one, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. We used a pack-n-play with both DC, currently using for my 3 month old. We put it close enough to the bed, that I could rock/jiggle it to put the baby back to sleep. That doesn't work any more though, as DD needs to be picked up and swayed. I don't think it is that important to literally have the baby right next to the bed in regards to breastfeeding. my DC always need new diapers before or during a feeding, so I was always getting up anyway. Both DC had reflux too, so no laying down and feeding. I have to keep DD angled upright, using My Brest Friend with a pillow underneath. The pack-n-play does take up a lot of room, but since it won't be there for too long, I don't really mind. Plan on transitioning DD to her crib in the next month or so. I would think either one of your choices will work fine. Maybe think about which you will get more use out of.
    DS 1/2010
    And new addition DD 1/2013

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I bought an Arm's reach cosleeper with my 2nd baby and found it to be cumbersome. It is harder to put together than a packnplay. Also, when it's attached to the bed, it is much harder for mom to sit up in bed and swing her legs over the side of the bed. I had c/sections with all my babies and it weas hard for me to sit up when baby would wake to feed. I usually had to roll to my side, dangle my legs over the side of the mattress and push myself up. But with the arms reach attached, I couldn't swing my legs over the side.

When I had my twins we didn't use the Arm's Reach. I just used the pnp.

No experience with the bassinet you mentioned.

Hth!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had an Arm's Reach and a Lotus crib, but not the bassinet attachment(it hasn't been released yet so you probably won't get feedback on it). We had the Arm's Reach from DS1. If we hadn't and the Lotus bassinet was available I think it would have been a better option. We went from the Arm's Reach to the regular crib right next to our bed. As PP said it kind of gets in your way when attached to your bed. It is nice to have it so close, I don't get out of bed at night so having it attached wasn't too bad for me, but I could see it being really annoying if you are in and out of bed or if you have a c-section. Since the Lotus isn't attached to the bed it would be easier to keep it out of your way.
    Last edited by kaharris83; 05-04-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesia View Post
    I just heard about the Guava Lotus Bassinet thanks to these boards! I am due in August, and plan to breastfeed. I was thinking we'd get the mini Arm's Reach co-sleeper, to make nighttime feedings easier, but now I'm wondering if the Lotus Bassinet would be more versatile. There isn't a lot of information about it on their website, but based on the photo and video I think it might work.

Any thoughts from experienced mamas out there? Thanks!
    Honestly, I'd get a rock n play sleeper before either of those. I have coslept and breastfed all three kids. Had the arms reach with ds1, crib sidecar with dd, and rock n play with ds2. We also use the bed bug bumper and like it.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    Honestly, I'd get a rock n play sleeper before either of those. I have coslept and breastfed all three kids. Had the arms reach with ds1, crib sidecar with dd, and rock n play with ds2. We also use the bed bug bumper and like it.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    I totally agree. My friend gave me her old arms reach cosleeper and i tried setting it up and found it was going to be really hard to get out of bed because the whole side of the bed was blocked and we have a blanket chest at the end of our bed. I ended up using a rock n play for dd2 and loved it. It was so easy for cosleeping - easy to get her out to feed and then pop her in when done and didn't take up a lot of space. She slept so well in it too.

Thank you for all of the feedback! It is very helpful, as I've never breastfed. I hadn't thought of the rock 'n play, but thought there was some sort of recall with those??? I'll check into it.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I also have a Rock N Play and my DS2 actually spent his first 8 weeks in it. Then he started to develop some torticollis so we moved him into the Arm's Reach. No idea if the torticollis was related to the Rock N Play, but we did notice he slept the exact same way in it every night with his head turned the same direction so we felt even if it wasn't causing the torticollis it wasn't helping either. That said he wouldn't sleep flat on his back for the first 8 weeks anyway so I still think the Rock N Play is great and recommend it.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesia View Post
    Thank you for all of the feedback! It is very helpful, as I've never breastfed. I hadn't thought of the rock 'n play, but thought there was some sort of recall with those??? I'll check into it.
    The recall was due to the foam padding molding because people hadn't washed/dried them thoroughly.

They are fine; just take care to keep it clean & dry.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    The recall was due to the foam padding molding because people hadn't washed/dried them thoroughly.

They are fine; just take care to keep it clean & dry.
    Thanks!