Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baby K'Tan?

Default Baby K'Tan?

I have the Ergo with the newer infant insert, which worked fine for DD1, but I'm thinking I want to try something new for baby #2. It looks like the Baby K'Tan might be a little easier to use and be less bulky? I'm thinking a less-bulky wrap type carrier might be helpful since I'll be chasing around a 2 yr old.

If you've used the K'Tan, did you like it? Was it true to size? I'm only 5'0" and normally 110 lb so the recommended size for me is the XS. I tried it on in a store today and it did seem kind of tight, but it's hard to tell how tight it will be when there's a baby inside the carrier instead of me!

Any other suggestions? As much as I'd love to try a Beco or Pikkolo, I'd rather stay in the <$50 range. Also those seem a little redundant since I have an Ergo I can use when baby gets too heavy for the K'Tan.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have one, and a Beco Gemini (and a few others ). i like it for the newborn phase, especially. I used in the later months but not as much as it wasn't as comfortable. I prefer it over a stretchy wrap because it's easier to put on and has a lot less fabric, hence easier to throw in the diaper bag. I think it's a good complement for a SSC.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Pretty much exactly what she said. I have an ergo and a k'tan and loved the k'tan for the newborn phase. I didn't use it much past 6 months, but I'm not so much a baby carrier. I had a moby with ds1 and couldn't never get all that fabric right, so that was a huge plus to me with the k'tan. Size wise, mine always felt more comfortable web it was tighter, like right out I the dryer, so I think tight is good.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It is the best carrier for newborns! So easy to use, less fabric and therefore loads cooler than a Moby (I sweat just thinking about it), and good support. I think XS sounds right.

I do recommend another carrier or wrap in later months. It doesn't have the longevity of the Moby. I prefer a wrap, mei tei, or SSC for bigger babies and toddlers, and in that order.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I can't edit my post and I shoulda read the other replies first and said ditto!

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

I'm planning on borrowing my sister's for the first few months. I'm due in August and wearing a Moby sounds way too hot. I also have a pikkolo, which I used with DS beginning around 3 months (when it arrived). I loved it.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Same here! Love the Ktan for the newborn stage, but with all 3 kids, I switched out of it by the time they were 6 months old. I still keep it as an extra back-up carrier in the car, though.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

Thanks ladies! Glad to hear you all think it's good for newborns. I'm definitely not worried about using it long term since I think I'm going to get a kinderpack for my toddler and can use the ergo for the baby when she's bigger.

Now just trying to decide if I should order the gray on NBD or wait to see if a purple one shows up! I almost bought one in the store today but the eggplant one had this weird extra 'support strap' thing that went around the waist and was $5 more. Seems unnecessary. And I was annoyed that the salesperson was telling someone else that she should use a snuzzler in a carseat and buy a Bjorn because 'those are the best carriers'.

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Love the ktan here too.
    My baby boy is 3!

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent. I liked the k'tan at first but found that it stretched out a lot after a while which made it difficult for me to position dd2. I never tried the moby but I found the k'tan to be really hot (this was last summer in dc, if you live somewhere cooler it's probably fine) .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast