Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    It wasn't a matter of not knowing what to do...it was a confidence and comfort level thing. And if she is shuffling at a decent pace with her weight on the seat, she is likely learning balance - it takes practice to keep the bike vertical.

Yes, exactly. We actually got DS his balance bike (the cheap $30 Chicco one from Costco) a while back, for his 2nd birthday. He was mostly too young for it then (even though he's fairly tall he wasn't tall enough to really ride it even at the lowest setting. He didn't start riding it around the house until he was about 2.5-3. Even then, he did just as you describe..just shuffling his feet around, never lifting both feet..i think it takes some level of balance just to walk around on it and not fall over.

Well, it's funny you posted this thread today, as today was literally the first day DS dared to lift both feet while riding his bike! He did it inside the house first, then begged to go outside to ride it. So we went outside, but at first he was still pretty cautious and would not do it the whole 10 minute walk/ride to the park. But then as we were leaving to go home he got some confidence and tried it..and he lifted his feet HIGH, it was nuts! So the balance must have been building there somehow all this time!! Definitely do not lose hope at all.

Don't know if this will work but i've put a URL link here of DS riding his bike and lifting his feet today. DS will be 3.5 in July.

http://flic.kr/p/ev6Bco

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
    We have a BB - DD has not been using it a whole lot, but say for 6 weeks on/off. I guess we are at fault here b/c we are not regular about it. BUT, when she does use it, she just keeps her feet on the ground and shuffles -- so she's not really practicing balance IMO, but maybe I'm wrong.

Is there anything we could do to help her w/this?

FWIW - DD can't pedal on a regular sized bike... I don't know why, it's peculiar. She'll do the same thing and just keep her legs on the ground and use her feet to keep the bike moving.

Have I doomed my child?!

I think 6 weeks is too short to say "working" or "not working". For DS I thought it took a while before he would glide for a distance. We were not very consistent either as both of us were WOHP and we have seasonal allergies, so we don't like being outside very much.

You said that she cannot pedal a regular sized bike. Do you a bike with training wheels or a tricycle? If she cannot pedal a trike, then I would say that she is not comfortable having her feet off the ground. It is more "uncomfortable" with a balance bike as the bike will wobble more than a trike.

Show her the youtube videos of children on balance bikes, or Ms. Pacman's son's video and give her time.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    She may just need more time. We got our balance bikes at 3yo. Our girls didn't start lifting up their feet until well after their 4th birthday - they are extremely cautious children though, so if your DD is anything like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it took her much longer to gain the confidence to lift up her feet.
    Must be a GIRL thing! thanks!
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stefani View Post

You said that she cannot pedal a regular sized bike. Do you a bike with training wheels or a tricycle? If she cannot pedal a trike, then I would say that she is not comfortable having her feet off the ground. It is more "uncomfortable" with a balance bike as the bike will wobble more than a trike.

I think you are right. I might try to find a cheap trike on craigs or something and get her to practice with "pedals"...
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

You need to give it a lot more time. DS started the balance bike at 2.5 years. He used to shuffle for a long time, finally started lifting his feet at 3 years. By 3.5 he was zooming around with his feet up, turning and everything smoothly/fast. Now, at 4.5 he can ride his real bike without training wheels. He was probably ready to ride his real bike without training wheels at 4 but not sure why DH waited so long to take them (probably laziness, didn't want to have to put them back on). Once they get the hang of it, watch out!!! Those things can go fast!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2