Default Any dental people here? Crumbling teeth

At the moment, I'm without any dental insurance, which means, of course, that what could go wrong, will go wrong.

Two months ago, while eating clam chowder (no sand!), a part of a tooth to the side of my front teeth (the next one over) cracked off. I went in and had it repaired. The dentist said "bummer, it happens" and told me of when something similar happened to him, while eating French Onion Soup with another dentist. I went on with life, and didn't think much more about it. Then three weeks ago, a piece of my front right upper tooth broke off on the back side (can't see it from the front side). I was eating a very uncrunchy hamburger. I have no insurance, and I'm not working, so I didn't get it fixed--it's $200+ per time "if he can fix it" (per the dentist after the first time). Two weeks ago, another small chunk from that same upper right front tooth broke off, still on the back side. About 1/4 of the back of that tooth is missing now. And then we have yesterday. I think it was my incisor on the left that had a small chunk fall off.

Of note, I have a mouth guard that I used to only wear at night, but now am wearing anytime I'm not eating, so I don't mess with the missing spots. I'm definitely a teeth-clencher and grinder, which is the original reason I got the mouth guard. It was a custom one through my former dentist's office. None of the spots has been up near my gum line. Overall, my health is fine. My birthmother said her teeth started crumbling about my age, and at 50, she now has dentures.

Wow, sorry that was so long... so here's what I'm wondering! (1) Can my teeth really all just crumble away? (2) If I get each part fixed, what are the chances my teeth will just keep crumbling? (3) Is there anything I can do to stop this?
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a part of my tooth come off during eating too. But I have lots of old silver fillings and have developed cracks where there just wasn't enough tooth left, and those teeth are crumbling. I have been getting the silver fillings removed and refilled, but it is so expensive!!! Several have needed root canals. And I do have dental insurance, but it only pays a certain amount per year. I hate dental issues!

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

A few thoughts...

1. You could try Dr ellies tooth carew system and it may help. Www.Cleanwhiteteeth.Com

2. Chiropractic care helps my mouth alignment so I don't clench at night. I go once every month or two when I notice my mouth aches in the morning and it fixed the problem. Cheaper than morgue guard + tooth repair!

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Your grinding is likely causing small cracks and weakening the teeth over time so that they are more likely to fall apart. I grind my teeth too and have regular nightmares about my teeth falling out. I think that a high fluoride toothpaste can help strengthen them from the outside. Colgate makes one called prevident (I think). I got it from my dentist, but I'm not sure where else you can get it. Do you have a dry mouth or sleep with your mouth open so that your teeth get dry? I think that can contribute too.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

You may want to look into the book Cure Tooth Decay. It talks about remineralizing and strengthening your teeth. I am trying this now. Slowly. I have a friend who was able to do this successfully. I am taking cod liver oil now but not the fermented one. Just something to consider.

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/

Google fluoride before increasing your fluoride exposure. Some people think excess fluoride is toxic and/or will yellow teeth or cause teeth to crumble.

Have a look into oil pulling. It sounds gross but it's my first go-to home remedy for teeth-related issues. Some people think it strengthens teeth, so it might help you. Whenever I have any tooth pain or sensitivity, I do it and the pain / sensitivity goes away quickly. For me, it tightens my teeth - I can tell after flossing. Some people say they've been able to avoid root canals by oil pulling, and there are people who think oil pulling cures or remedies a bunch of non-teeth related issues via detox. The theory is that the bacteria in your mouth is attracted to the oil. I find it to be more effective than Listerine, although I keep both on hand.

How to: You swish a tablespoon of oil in your mouth and then spit it out. I use sesame oil, but there are others that are recommended (and not recommended - i.e. don't use Crisco hahaha).

Just be careful if you have fillings. Some people have reported that their fillings have come out because of oil pulling. Others say that's true only if the fillings are loose or damaged. I don't know if I'd try oil pulling if I had fillings. My DH is a grinder and chose not to try it because of his fillings.

Good luck!
    DS - Dec 2008