bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Need book and video ideas for: poverty, work and ettiquette topics!

Any bright ideas?

I'm moving forward with my three "camps" for my kids this year. I have a ton of ideas. Throughout the day I'm going to engage them in activities that teach them more about the topics. I will do three days of "appreciation" camp (poverty camp) and I plan on doing things like disconnecting the water from the faucets and making them walk to a friends house about 1/2 mile away, etc. to teach them to be appreciative for what we have here in the 1st world. I'm doing a week long "work" camp that will orient them to lots of different kinds of work that the world is involved with including visiting Daddy's work and having a whole day where I sit on the couch and they take over, lol. I'm also doing an ettiquette boot camp where we secretly video tape the kids and they have to appear before a panel of judges (my friends) to discuss improving manners. It will culminate in a trip to a "tea room" semi-locally where they'll have to learn their new skills. I've planned TONS of other stuff but this is just an outline to let you know where we're coming from!

I'm planning on filling our days with activities but figure our nights will be "off" but I'd love to supplement being out and about with books and videos that teach new perspectives!

Do you guys have any brilliant ideas for videos or books? I don't even necessarily mean "non-fiction" topics but would be fine with fictional stories that have messages that supplement what I'm going for. I've thought that I'll include "Babies" for poverty, because it displays little kids and babies in settings entirely different from what they are accustomed to. I'd love to hear your advice!

TIA!

Jen

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bumping to see if anyone has any great recommendations!

TIA!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not sure if anything in it would be age appropriate but I've read the book Letters From Young Activists and it's a collection of letters from a variety of people of different race, religion, ethnicity, age written to different "audiences" such as parents, authorities, older activists, and letters about identity, culture, oppression, etc. Most letters are only a few pages each so you might be able to find a few of them useful.

There may be clips of Half The Sky you could use though the documentary as a whole definitely has adult/mature topics covered that may not be appropriate.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.