mom3boys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Owners of pools . . .

Do you limit your DCs' pool time?

I know I should be happy for them to be outside, but I am exhausted from all the pool use, and the summer has just begun. This is our first summer having a house with a pool. DS's went in the pool all or part of--last Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday (Tuesday it rained), Thursday, Friday, and then this Saturday and Sunday they were outside, mostly in and around the pool, from like 10:30-6:00, since we were entertaining guests both days. DH and I were totally spent. If they are in the pool I need to be outside watching them, I need to be continuously re-applying sunscreen, with DS3 I often have to be IN the pool with him because he can't actually swim, or right next to the shallow end where he can stand. I can't get anything done in the house. Today of course they want to be in again. I'm trying to stall to DS3's nap time so I can at least not have him in there and only have to watch DS2 (DS1 has school until Wednesday). I suppose I could take them to a park or something but then I also get none of the basic housework done.

In 3 weeks I will start a new job and I don't want to completely exhaust the babysitter with all the pool stuff, either, it is such a responsibility to have to watch kids around water I'd like to limit it to like 2 hours a day or something. We were not planning to do camp by the way, because with 3 DC a sitter is cheaper and DS3 is too young for virtually all the camps anyway, but I'm rethinking that just to maybe get the older 2 out of the house, elsewhere, so I (or the sitter) can relax just a bit.

Thanks for any advice!
    M, Mom to 3 handsome boys, '06, '08, '11

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We don't have a pool. but I think like many other activities, it would be fine to impose limits. For example, the pool is only "open" between 1 and 4 pm Mondays-Fridays and whatever weekend hours you choose. For mom's sanity and the kids' safety.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We haven't had to restrict pool time yet because it's enough of a chore to convince our girls to get IN the pool!! They just don't want to nowadays since we have banned the use of any flotation devices and imposed a "swim-float-swim" test before they can even play on the steps of the pool.

But in your situation I definitely would impose some limits! I know what you mean about having to be IN the pool with them. You can't just get something else done in the house. You have to be out there and actively engaged, and pool time means loads more laundry, and that's exhausting.

Yeah, we strictly limit time. I don't have a set schedule, but they know not to ask before 10, we're out there for two hours or less, and barring exceptional circumstances (guests, or DH coming home and being willing to go in with them), they get one pool "experience" per day. (Mainly because my one and only maternity swimsuit takes overnight to dry!)

They also know that no amount of begging or pleading will get them out there before I am good and ready (and done with whatever housework needs doing, like yesterday's towels or the dishes) and so are actually almost helpful on days they want to go in the pool!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We haven't had many problems with excess swimming here, but I totally understand feeling sort of trapped by/in the pool when you have other things to do. We break up the swimming with lunch and dinner breaks and we make them relax a bit after eating before going in. We also plan a lot of other activities, so our chances of being in the pool literally all day long are slim. I am happy that both kids are so excited to swim, though....good exercise, better than sitting around and begging for the tv or computer, and makes the cost of it more tolerable.

I would make sure that your babysitter is CPR certified. Three active kids in a pool can be a bit much for anyone and things can happen in an instant.

I like Sarah's approach.

I feel this way about how much we go to the park. I LOVE that DD is getting great exercise and not sitting/idling the day away inside, but sometimes she just needs to know that our house runs more efficiently (and we can get more park time) when mom is relaxed and the house is in proper order.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

I'm having the exact same problem but my three kids are each a year older than yours. This is the first summer of our new pool and I can't keep up. Towels, snacks, sunscreen, goggles, pool toys, swimsuits, etc....are now my routine. And they're not even done with school yet! Two more days left.

Quite by accident I discovered that after they put their suits on, they are much more willing to do a quick clean up before they're allowed in the pool. They moved at lightening speed to pick up all their stuff scattered around the house. I will definitely use Sarah's suggestion and get things done like unloading the dishwasher, clean up from breakfast, ect...before going out. Otherwise nothing will get done.
    Mom of two girls and a boy