Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which train table: Nilo, PBK, or LON? Or feel free to rec another...

I see there hasn't been a train table thread in a while. I am looking for a train table for my almost 3-year-old, but I don't need something with all the pieces because I've amassed quite a collection of Thomas toys. I want something without brands all over it and a table that could be repurposed for something else later on. I'd like to keep it in the range of $200. The 3 tables I've come up with are:

1. Nilo: http://www.nilotoys.com/at.htm
    Disadvantage: The top is white and this will always look like a kids' play table. But, do I really care? Not sure if I plan to use it for anything non-child related in the future, like a coffee table.

2. PBK Carolina activity table: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...able-espresso/
    Disadvantage: I despise PBK. (Hate their 30-day return policy and their overall ****ty customer service)

3. LON activity table: http://www.landofnod.com/lt.-honey-l...roller/s520950
    Disadvantage: No lips around the edges to keep things from falling off.

Thoughts?

ETA: I live in the Detroit area and if anyone has one for sale, please let me know!
    Last edited by geminimagk; 06-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Craigslist!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Craigslist!
    Searched....no luck I always have the worst luck with CL!

Sorry, CL was my call, too. I basically stalked Craigslist for all of these tables for several months. I wanted one that came with the underneath bins. I missed a lot of times! I ended up with an older style PB one, and I love it. You can fit a ton in the bins (the new ones are much much smaller).

The lip issue is a tough one, you want the lip for trains and other play, but then if you want to use it for drawing/writing later on the lip will be in the way.

Sorry, Idk if I am any help!

ETA: This is the one we have

http://toledo.craigslist.org/bab/3840500171.html
    Last edited by YouAreTheFocus; 06-14-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geminimagk View Post
    Searched....no luck I always have the worst luck with CL!
    Oh man! Ours has like 3 posted a day, easily. Make sure to check the "baby and kids stuff" section and "toys and games" (sorry if that's obvious, I didn't even realize there was a toys and games section till recently and I have been using it for a couple years now.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Oh man! Ours has like 3 posted a day, easily. Make sure to check the "baby and kids stuff" section and "toys and games" (sorry if that's obvious, I didn't even realize there was a toys and games section till recently and I have been using it for a couple years now.)
    Thanks! I've just been doing a search for "train table"

If you can wait until Oct/Nov, Costco usually sells a KidKraft Train table with 2 large bins on casters and lots of accessories. It was about $125 plus tax.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Target Circo one worked for us. It's cheap enough that you don't feel bad just passing it on when you're done. It's sturdy enough to hold up for years of play, we passed ours on to a preschool after 2 years of use.

FWIW, we have the LON one and it's too small for trains. The curves don't turn tight enough to get anything but a very bare bones track on it. I like the table, but IMO it's useless as a train table.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We went with a Nilo - N50 - Woodworker Table - $169, including shipping & handling (scroll down toward the bottom on the page you listed). You have to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase the top but it took DH less than an hour including driving time. The top we purchased is tan not white.

From the website:
    You must go to your local Home Depot or lumber yard and have a melamine or plywood 1/2" thick piece cut to size for this table, 32 7/8" X 49".

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Does Brio still make train tables? I just sold ours today. It's 17 years old (went through 2 nephews before it came to our house and has been played with nearly daily in those 17 years.) It is still solid as a rock. The train track, tunnels, bridges are glued on, but that piece is removable and can be flipped for a blank flat surface to create your own track creations. I hated to sell it because it's so sturdy and still in excellent shape, but we have no room. I am so impressed with the quality of this train table, but I don't know if they're even made any longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast