Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default "Allergy Face" - is this a real thing?

I just got back from the Dr. where DS was diagnosed with pneumonia and asthma.
    I guess I am a little skeptical (or maybe just in denial?)

The doctor was super thorough and listened to DS's chest for a long time. He showed me how his breathing was really labored, how his ribs were getting sucked in. And that when listening to his back, he could hear rattling and other indicators for pneumonia. So I guess it is pneumonia. They measured some oxygen levels and breathing rate, gave him a pulmicort breathing treatment (which I never even knew about until the BBB!) and then the levels looked better afterwards.
    But then he kept on about how it was asthma too, and that DS had an "allergy face" indicated by his long eyelashes, creases under his eyes and darker shading under his eyes. Is this something you guys have heard of? Maybe I am just dreading that this may be a think we have to deal with long term now. I feel like so many of you guys have to deal with late night breathing treatments and such. And then I feel like maybe I have been writing off his off and on minor runny noses and coughs as just colds when it was asthma or allergies?

Off to the pharmacy now. I have to get the breathing thing (nebulizer?) to help him take the inhaler. :/

I have to decide whether or not to leave for my cross -country work trip on Sunday now too. At least we made it through most of our vacation in good health.
    DD
    DS

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've never heard "allergy face" - and I have a younger brother who's had SEVERE allergies his entire life.

All 4 of us have long lashes and very pale, very translucent skin, so we have under-eye circles even when well-rested.

Anecdotally, I think it's BS.

Also, not to minimize your mama-worries, I don't think you going on your trip is a problem unless your DS does not improve in the next 2 days.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I do believe in "allergy face" or more typically "allergy eyes". It's very obvious in one of my girls compared to the other. DD2 has dark circles under her eyes, watery eyes, and has kind of a more pale look. Her eyes are not as "bright" or "big" as DD1's (others have unfortunately observed this too). She asthma as well as year-long allergies. Hopefully you guys get some relief from the meds.

ETA: I think "allergy face" is kind of an old school thing. My grandfather was an ENT who dealt with tons of allergies and used the term often. I've also had some of our alternative health doctors mention it to me.
    Last edited by Melaine; 07-10-2013 at 04:23 PM.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post

ETA: I think "allergy face" is kind of an old school thing. My grandfather was an ENT who dealt with tons of allergies and used the term often. I've also had some of our alternative health doctors mention it to me.
    I thought maybe this was a factor- this doctor was on the older side (70+) so maybe he sort of kept this terminology or something. He also had sort of a hippie vibe to me with a string bracelet so maybe he is sort of hippie/alternative? (Not to judge by appearances or anything. )
    And thanks for the kind thoughts- I know your family has been through the wringer with illnesses!
    DD
    DS

I really think it's an old-fashioned term for someone who looks to be at risk for allergies. Don't ignore the asthma advice. If you want to get a definitive diagnosis, wait until he's healed up from the pneumonia and get him into a pediatric pulminologist (sp?) and go from there. I prefer a pulminary doc to an allergist for asthma, though frequently allergy docs handle asthma as well. it's just a personal preference for me, YMMV. Hope he's on the mend soon!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was told by my ped that both of my boys had "allergy eyes." I definitely use their eyes as an indicator of how their allergies are doing. When they are having trouble, they have huge dark circles and their eyes look sunken. This includes my older DS even now. It's definitely a sign of allergy problems.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Cam&Clay View Post
    I was told by my ped that both of my boys had "allergy eyes." I definitely use their eyes as an indicator of how their allergies are doing. When they are having trouble, they have huge dark circles and their eyes look sunken. This includes my older DS even now. It's definitely a sign of allergy problems.
    Yeah, both my DGDs have "allergy shiners" like this. I've never heard "allergy face" but definitely have heard of "allergy shiners" or "allergy eyes" (recently, not just in the olden days!!!).

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The long eyelashes part makes no sense to be but I totally believe in allergy eyes. The lids are puffy, so the area underneath appears more sunken and shadow-y, the eyes look more moist than normal, almost tear-y, the base of the lashes are often damp (sometimes the whole lashes are damp which may give the illusion of longer lashes), etc. When I don't vacuum up dog hair frequently enough and the girls roll around in it during normal floor play - they get allergy eyes. It's great motivation for vacuuming. And interestingly - DD1 (who has mild asthma and has had mild pneumonia before) has not had to use her nebulizer since I started vacuuming twice a week with a Dyson...just wanted to throw that out there in case you have pets! Even if the dander/fur isn't a technical allergen to your child, it is definitely an irritant in the lungs of a child who has asthma.

Ditto on the eyes. My girls and I both have them when we eat something we're allergic to. We call it the vampire look.

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, I know it as "allergy black eye". My ds has this every time his allergies act up. He looks like he has two black eyes and when we get him on Allegra, it goes away. He also has asthma, but the two seem to be unrelated, at least for him.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast