Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default funeral in the south - what to dress the dc in??

so my title pretty much says it. dh's grandpa is on hospice. we visited this past weekend (which was good!) but he is very near death. i'm wondering what to put the kids in for the funeral. its in memphis, so certainly a more formal culture then where we live. dh will wear his black suit, i'll wear a dress. but all the kids summer clothes are white/light colored. and the boys just wear polos, shorts and boat shoes to church. but that doesn't seem right for a funeral. suggestions?

(dd is 6, ds is 4, ds is 2 and dd is brand new).

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It will be so hot, I would dress them in polo shirts with khaki shorts and leather sandals. For your DDs, I would have them wear nicer dresses, anything smocked, preferably with sleeves (not sundress style).
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    It will be so hot, I would dress them in polo shirts with khaki shorts and leather sandals. For your DDs, I would have them wear nicer dresses, anything smocked, preferably with sleeves (not sundress style).
    I would have said the same thing, she just said it first.
    I'm sorry for your family in this time.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I will disagree and say that where I live shorts would Never be acceptable for a funeral. A dark polo and pants would be fine.
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

thanks mamas. i have plenty of smock for the girls (thanks MIL!!!) and a jon jon for ds2. its mostly ds1 (age 4) that i'm having a hard time with. (and of course, I do realize that nobody will really care what my children wear. i just don't want to be "that mom" from who knows where, who's children stick out like a sore thumb.)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I agree. I have been to a funeral in Mississippi just outside of Memphis when my nephews were younger and before I had kids. This was perfectly acceptable.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Never in a million years would I let my kid go to a funeral in shorts. IIWY I'd put the 4yo in a short sleeve button down (I've bought them at Kmart, in the boy's section, so under $10) and a pair of kakhis. Just my 2 cents.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

I'm in the no shorts at a funeral camp. Any long pants, even school uniform pants would be my choice. A thin cotton button down or a polo would be fine with it.
    D, married to B, momma to DD1 (7/08) and DD2 (8/10)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No shorts. Short sleeve shirt and pants.

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In my family, funerals are formal occasions. If I had a DS, for his grandfather's summer Memphis funeral I would put him in a navy blazer, white bermuda shorts, and a white or light blue (not button-down) short sleeve dress shirt with a clip-on blue-on-blue striped bowtie. Or a white linen blazer with light blue shirt and blue and white seersucker bermudas (same tie).

I'm mom to a DD, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I don't have to dress a boy. But to me, the hallmark of formality for men's and boys' attire is the jacket. Type of shirt (polo vs. dress shirt) and length of pants probably aren't as important. In fact, traditional formal dress for young boys dictates short pants, with a jacket.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast