Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by alirebco View Post
    Cut out nightshades, take glucosamine and magnesium supplements. That will help immensely with your joints
    Consider cutting out gluten as well. Eliminated much of my joint pain.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    Consider cutting out gluten as well. Eliminated much of my joint pain.
    Yep. I'm paleo so no grains here but I know that is harder for most people. Nightshades do affect joints though and they're easier to cut out.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Soo I've been dealing with excrutiating heel pain in both feet for 3 years now. Horrible. Stopped running 2 years ago, put on 15-20 pounds. Miserable. Been to orthopedist, podiatrist, you name it. shots, boot, custom orthotics, never barefoot, no flats, arnica oil on my feet, Tylenol, golf ball under my feet to massage it while I sit. Next step was supposed to be surgery, for the last 2 years and I just can't stomach it, especially giving it's crappy success rates and long term fail. diagnosis was always PF with bone spurs, even with the xrays and all that.

Always have low back pain and burning fire between my shoulder blades. mom and MIL and aunts all have fibromyalgia and tell me it's that. Heat helps. the way I sit at work does not.

This week I went to a chiropractor for a massage. I have never been one to go to a chiropractor. Instantly my back felt better. No kidding, but here's the real shocker: She adjusted my feet. She said I had a few bones out of place (named them, I don't remember what they were) And put some sort of special tape on them. And I'm about to cry just writing this because for the first time in years I can walk without it feeling like someone is driving railroad spikes into my heels. Seriously. It's been 1 week. I get up in the morning and don't feel like crawling to the bathroom just to avoid putting pressure on my legs. I've been debating about posting about this anyway, but your post really called me to it. I didn't even know feet could be adjusted. I'm to the point I would consider running again. I could barely walk a week ago. Okay, that's it, I am going to cry. I cannot begin to express my relief to you. years of constant pain just gone with a painless adjustment. I don't know how long it will last, she seemed to think I would be just fine. I was completely skeptical. I want to hug her or pay her gobs of money I don't have or do something wildly inappropriate to express my gratitude.

It's worth a shot. I figured, I was already in pain, so what the hell. I couldn't be more glad I did. Even my DH is overwhelmed with the change. I can't diagnose you, but I can say it helped me. I'm sure not all chiropractors are the same caliber. and she said that not all of them adjust feet, but if you want me to ask her if she has a rec in your area, I'd be happy to ask. Or you can come here and stay with me just to visit her. I'll watch your kiddo. Totally worth a try.

Huge hugs. I get it.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My DH was diagnosed at 38yo with RA. It started with lower back pain that spread to his fingers and toes. The pain was unbearable. Combinations of aleve and Advil didn't provide relief. Now that he's been diagnosed he's on injectable Embrel which helps tremendously.

There is not family history of RA.

I think you should definitely see a rheumatologist to get this ruled out.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You know my answer. Your post describes me well, in many ways. Daily, unrelenting pain, particularly in joints (hips, SI, facet, knees).

Please consider Lyme Disease as part of your differential diagnosis. A friend of ours and several friends of friends were recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease after years of RA misdiagnosis (and years of medications that were contraindicated for Lyme Disease).

Incidentally, morning foot/heel pain that resolves is a hallmark symptom of Bartonella, another tick born disease that can also cause joint pain. Bartonella is caused by the same bacteria that causes "cat scratch" disease, but can present differently (often described as "Bartonella Like Organisms" or BLOs).

The testing for Lyme and Bartonella is very inaccurate overall. Please feel free to message me if I can help.

Before you get too crazy about cutting things out and googling severe conditions I'd consider whether or not you're stretching regularly. Not that it might not be something more, but it makes sense to start with the easy fix and proceed to the more difficult. Stretching sounds simple, but it can have significant consequences in terms of tightness which will pull everything out of whack. Trust me, I can feel when I haven't been stretching and it HURTS to move, especially in the mornings, or after having been sitting for a bit. Like now My DH, who is an amazingly active and fit person was not a good stretcher and had chronic back and knee pain. His BFF (who is an orthopedic surgeon) put him on a stretching regimin and it has all but disappeared - as long as he keeps it up!

Also, the more pliable orthotics are really only good for 5 years. Even if yours are hard, I'd go in for a check up if they pre-date your DS because your feet may have grown/changed (during pregnancy) which will also render the orthotics useless. I have Morton's neuroma (similar to plantar fasciatis, but not the same thing) and there are times that I cannot walk without shoes at all it's so painful.

Sure, you probably have arthritis as well, who doesn't at this age? But I'd start with the simpler solutions first
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    Soo I've been dealing with excrutiating heel pain in both feet for 3 years now. Horrible. Stopped running 2 years ago, put on 15-20 pounds. Miserable. Been to orthopedist, podiatrist, you name it. shots, boot, custom orthotics, never barefoot, no flats, arnica oil on my feet, Tylenol, golf ball under my feet to massage it while I sit. Next step was supposed to be surgery, for the last 2 years and I just can't stomach it, especially giving it's crappy success rates and long term fail. diagnosis was always PF with bone spurs, even with the xrays and all that.

Always have low back pain and burning fire between my shoulder blades. mom and MIL and aunts all have fibromyalgia and tell me it's that. Heat helps. the way I sit at work does not.

This week I went to a chiropractor for a massage. I have never been one to go to a chiropractor. Instantly my back felt better. No kidding, but here's the real shocker: She adjusted my feet. She said I had a few bones out of place (named them, I don't remember what they were) And put some sort of special tape on them. And I'm about to cry just writing this because for the first time in years I can walk without it feeling like someone is driving railroad spikes into my heels. Seriously. It's been 1 week. I get up in the morning and don't feel like crawling to the bathroom just to avoid putting pressure on my legs. I've been debating about posting about this anyway, but your post really called me to it. I didn't even know feet could be adjusted. I'm to the point I would consider running again. I could barely walk a week ago. Okay, that's it, I am going to cry. I cannot begin to express my relief to you. years of constant pain just gone with a painless adjustment. I don't know how long it will last, she seemed to think I would be just fine. I was completely skeptical. I want to hug her or pay her gobs of money I don't have or do something wildly inappropriate to express my gratitude.

It's worth a shot. I figured, I was already in pain, so what the hell. I couldn't be more glad I did. Even my DH is overwhelmed with the change. I can't diagnose you, but I can say it helped me. I'm sure not all chiropractors are the same caliber. and she said that not all of them adjust feet, but if you want me to ask her if she has a rec in your area, I'd be happy to ask. Or you can come here and stay with me just to visit her. I'll watch your kiddo. Totally worth a try.

Huge hugs. I get it.
    I just want to give you a hug. I great, big, huge hug and a cookie and bake you a cheesecake and also a pony ride. Oof. Midwest, huh? Maybe I'll come to your chiropractor and bring the pony with me ...

I just want to say that I understand why you feel so overwhelmed with appreciation. When you are in pain all the time, and then you're suddenly not anymore, it's like someone gave you your life back. I do understand why you're so affected and filled with gratitude. Pain is my normal. I don't know what it's like not to be in pain. That said, I don't notice it. If you ask me if I'm in pain at a random part of my day, i say no, cuz I'm not. But it I think about it and focus on it, I do feel it. So, that sudden absence would be overwhelming.

I will look into a chiropractor that adjusts feet, it sounds like something I'd like ot try. I think stretching is a good place to start, too, there is no harm in it , but I'm going to schedule a checkup, as I skipped last year's, and I'll mention all these things to him and maybe get that blood test. Don't mind paying for it if Insurance won't. And I've wanted to try a chiropractor for a long time, so this is a good impetus.

I know there is something wrong with me. It's not my weight, but I'm sure the weight exacerbates it. I just want to know once and for all what it is.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You've gotten great advice and have a good, thoughtful plan put together. If you are doing blood work anyway you might want to add a celiac panel. Fibromyalgia, RA, and the like are common with celiac.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Fairy, sent you a pm.

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Leg pain and swelling can come from venous insufficiency..... You could try seeing a vascular surgeon or getting your pcp to order a venous doppler ultrasound to evaluate the veins in your legs.

Some more info https://www.venefitprocedure.com/patients.aspx

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3