Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Blendtec versus Vitamix?

I've been stalking the Vitamix for some time but haven't bought one yet. Today at Costco they were demo-ing the Blendtec and I really liked it. The guy made a few good selling points - Vitamix copied their design and had to pay a multi million dollar fine, Blendtec has a shorter container standard, Blendtec has the same container for wet and dry, Blendtec doesn't need a tamper, Blendtec has 1 more year warranty (7 vs. 8 I believe?). And the price is $329 for the version with pre-sets.

Why would I want the Vitamix over the Blendtec? I had barely even heard of Blendtec before today and now I'm very tempted.
    DS age 9

I have no personal experience with Blendtec, but I've known about them for ages because of the "Will It Blend?" video series.

http://www.willitblend.com
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

I have a Blendtec and love it. Bought it at Costco. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I found this helpful when I was trying to decide between the two.

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/b...x-vs-blendtec/

I ended up with a Vitamix, but I'm sure I would have been happy with a Blendtec. I think it really comes down to personal preference on the design and features.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have the Blendtec and my Mom has the Vitamix, so I know both pretty well. They, IMO, are very comparable and you couldn't go wrong with either one. It's one of the most used appliances in my kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Momit View Post
    I've been stalking the Vitamix for some time but haven't bought one yet. Today at Costco they were demo-ing the Blendtec and I really liked it. The guy made a few good selling points - Vitamix copied their design and had to pay a multi million dollar fine, Blendtec has a shorter container standard, Blendtec has the same container for wet and dry, Blendtec doesn't need a tamper, Blendtec has 1 more year warranty (7 vs. 8 I believe?). And the price is $329 for the version with pre-sets.

Why would I want the Vitamix over the Blendtec? I had barely even heard of Blendtec before today and now I'm very tempted.

I was just about to post this same question! I've been eyeing the Vitamix for some time too, and tonight I went into Bed Bath and Beyond to see one in person and they had it right next to a Blendtec. As far as I could see, both are USA made (correct me if I'm wrong), and the Blendtec was a bit cheaper. Bed Bath and Beyond told me I could use my 20% off coupon which brings the price down a lot, no matter which one I get. The salesperson and the manager both told me they have a Blendtec and love it. So I will be following this post, since I'm looking to upgrade my blender pretty soon.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think they're probably about the same. We got a vitamix due to their track record - DH remembers his from his 80s childhood. But I'd be happy with a Blendtec too I bet.

The only thing to watch out for with Blendtec is that they have an incredible social media staff. Will It Blend is famous for being viral marketing done really well. But they've also been accused of putting out a variety of blender review and green smoothie websites where their sponsorship is not revealed - all tagged to show up high in search results. Not illegal, probably more common than we all think, but still sneaky.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

This search shows some gardenweb and chowhound threads on the topic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chow...&client=safari

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    This search shows some gardenweb and chowhound threads on the topic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chow...&client=safari

Catherine
    I found this link to be pretty informative, especially the last poster's review of both:
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/783590

I'd never heard of blendtec.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I have a Blendtec and love it. I like that it easily fits underneath my upper kitchen cabinets. I bought it from Costco so that I would be able to easily return it if it stopped working.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast