Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I worked at Tropical Smoothie Cafe where we used Vitamix, so I was sort of leaning towards that based on my experience. However, after cursory research (would have done more if I hadn't been so experienced with the VM from work) I basically looked for the best price on either model and ended up with the vitamix.

The things I hear mentioned that I would look at/consider are:
    1) height....would be nice to fit under cabinet. Not a dealbreaker for me, but I do see it as a big pro for BT.
    2) Warranty....are both comparable? Not sure
    3) Tamper....I like having it. My experience is that if you are good at recipes, tamper may not be needed. I tend to totally wing it, dumping it random quantities. I often use the tamper and can't quite imagine not having one. YMMV of course. We didn't even have tampers at the restaurant so it obviously worked fine then.
    4) Wet/dry....not sure? I haven't really planned to use it for dry stuff at this stage in my life anyway.

So for me, I just found the best deal I could and wound up with a Vitamix from craigslist and we do use it all the time and love it.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't think you can go wrong with either machine, but for me I just couldn't quite get on board with the Blendtec, plus although the presets could be nice I didn't really want anything that was really electronic. I like control as well so I think that is why I was drawn to the Vitamix.

I just recently (3 weeks ago) bought a Vitamix CIA Model 1750 (essentially the 5200, but with a different cookbook, and more colors, I had Amazon rewards so that it made it the same price as buying a 5200 from Costco....however now the Costco model is cheaper by $107, $374 vs. $481). I had been thinking about getting a Vitamix for quite awhile, maybe since 2011 when I happened to see one of their shows on QVC, and all of the talk about them here within the last 6 months and finally actually watching a demo. at Costco finally pushed me over the edge. I like all of the options and for the most part the VM has been pretty easy to use. I watched a fair amount of you tube videos for both as well and asked on this site and some other message boards I visit for opinions and everyone who had a Vitamix said they loved them.

My texture averse DD1 also likes the smoothies I make in it and hasn't complained about textures at all. I am tempted to try and find a mashed potato recipe because she has never eaten mashed potatoes due to the texture.

I have yet to actually successfully make vanilla or chocolate ice cream (I think the recipe calls for way too much liquid, and too much ice, and I haven't used the dry milk powder it says is optional, but I think it might be more of a necessity), but have made the frozen yogurt, sorbet, mac n cheese sauce, tomato marinara, salsa, peanut butter, mayonnaise (although the one on the VM website is better than the one in the cookbook), and a lot of smoothies with no problems at all. I also tried to make some Nutella in it and that didn't turn out all that well, it resembled a flourless brownie (DH and DD2 ate it though) and my motor got really hot and shut off, but the next AM it was up and running just fine again.

While I think a shorter container would be nice, it isn't a necessity. I leave the base on my counter and most of the time the container and lid are in the dishwasher or in my dishdrainer. I feel the same way about the programs and really other than my ice cream failures I don't miss the presets.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-16-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

This height issue has gotten me thinking...how tall is the Vitamix? My current blender is a KitchenAid and it is 15 inches tall. I do leave it on the counter and push it back so it is below my cabinets, but I always pull it out to use it.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

You can buy the Vitamix with a wider, shorter jar now (same size as the previous tall one).

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My Vitamix fits under my cabinets just fine. My cabinets look standard to me, but who knows.

I went with Vitamix after reading quite a few comparisons. I prefer the manual controls, presets just aren't my cup of tea..

I think I am leaning toward Blendtec...slightly shorter so it fits under my counter, the pitcher can go in the dishwasher and from what I've read, it's easier to make frosties and ice cream with, which would be fun to be able to do. It's a bit less expensive also and I like the looks of it better. The motor is more powerful. Our local Planet Smoothie uses one so if it's good enough for them, I imagine it would work well for us!

Now I just have to save my $$$. In the meantime I am using my KitchenAid- just bought a new coupler and blade so it should hold me over for a while. It's 8 years old and is still going strong. I'm just trying to see if a new blade would help it crush ice better as that seems to have lessened this past year. My model was made in the US too, so another reason to keep it.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

FYI I spoke to the Vitamix man the other day...I really want one.

Things I learned....
    Vitamix motors are either made in Switzerland or Mexico
    Shortest container is sold at QVC
    dry containers are used less than 5 percent of the time
    Road shows, retail stores, QVC and Costco each have silly different models (pre-sets, colors, and motors) and all have different warranties

If you want to space out payments he suggested QVC

To manage the height he puts his container upside down next to the stand. It is normally drying after being washes.

Does QVC have the other brand?

I too am working on wearing out me Kitchen Aid that is 13 and going strong. The Vitamix man joked about throwing a spoon in it to kill it. I have a hard time buying one b/c of price. I bought household applicances in that price range lately.....frig, washer, drying, dishwasher,... And now a blender so I can make cool stuff and smoothies?! Hard to swallow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2