JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default If you give your cat hairball medicine---

and the cat takes it willingly, what kind do you use?

We have been through a lot with my sweet girl lately, and had a scare that the vet hopes was due to hairballs. So I have bought 2 different kind of meds, and it is a struggle to get her to take them. Any suggestions?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

It's been years since I used it because that cat has since passed on. I don't remember the brand, but it was in a tube and the cat would lick it off my finger - couldn't get enough of it! I'm sorry that I couldn't be more help, just wanted to say that there was something out there that a cat liked. I'm pretty sure that I purchased it in the pet store. Is yours a liquid? I also seem to remember it smelling a little like the powder from soup mixes.

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We bought chews from the pet store our vet recommended. We put it down with the dry food when needed. I understand kitty illness and how hard it is since cats can be so stubborn, what are they trying to have you give? We have a diabetic cat who needs twice daily shots and before we got it under control we needed to also get her to take lots of other medications. Oh and our cat is VERY skittish and could hide from us all day.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours is very stubborn but happens to love hair ball medicine - I buy any brand but I think Petromalt is one of them. I just get it at Petsmart. It comes in a white tube and is dark brown, kind of nasty smelling stuff but she would suck that whole tube dry if she could. I give it to her as a treat after I trim her nails. Sorry I can't be more help.
    Last edited by Momit; 07-16-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typo
    DS age 9

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks so much for the replies. One of the brands I tried is Laxatone and the other I think is just GNC. Now that everyone mentions it I do remember giving Petromalt to my first kitty (who has since died) and he loved it. I don't know if I saw any of that at either Petsmart or Petco which is what we have here.

Yes, my little girl has been through a lot and is really stubborn about meds. She just went through radioactive iodine treatment for her thyroid and about 6 weeks later started throwing up lots, including blood. I had to rush her into the vet where they gave her fluids, anti-nausea meds, and ant-inflammatory meds. They are hoping its a reaction to hairballs and the x-ray they did showed nothing (no tumors, etc), but I guess there is a more expensive imaging that can be done that can see things this one can't. Anyway, they sent anti-nausea meds home with her and dear cat hid it in her mouth--would not eat it at all. Luckily she has not thrown up and the vet said its okay to discontinue that.'
    Thanks again for the help.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Don't know if hairball medicine can be done this way, but some (many?) meds for cats can be compounded into a cream that you rub into the cats' ear if the cat truly won't take the necessary meds. Of course, even that can be tricky, but it's easier than forcing a pill. We have had to resort to this for our cat's thyroid meds.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Our cats use to love the Drs. Foster and Smith brand, think you will need to order it. They usually would run over if they saw me put some on my finger for them to lick off. If they were a bit less interested, I would just put a dab on their paw and they would lick it off.