Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What mix of breeds do you think this dog is? Hypoallergenic or not? *Pics*

We're considering adopting this 4-year-old dog from a rescue organization. I have bad asthma and have never had a dog. I realize that there's no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, but I'd like to reduce the chances that the dog could bother my allergies. (We met her outside at a park, so it's hard to know if my allergies were kicking in due to the environment there or her.)

So, what is your best guess as to the breeds of this dog? The rescue organization offered their guess, but I'm curious what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There has to be some schnauzer in there.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My stepmom is a professional in the world of show dogs. I showed her the photo you posted and she said its a poodle mixed with something, possibly border collie. She said you need to remember it will require professional grooming so keep that in mind when figuring out the cost of owning that dog. She's a cutie!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

I see a poodle mix....
    Proud mom to one & only DS born 4/12
    Expecting someone new in April 2016

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Whatever it is, it's adorable!

The rescue organization said Portuguese water dog and terrier--what do you think about their guess? Interesting that so far no one has said either one of those!

My guess would be Schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle mix), but with an unknown mutt, you just might never know!

If you're worried about allergies, I'd see if you can try and her stay at your home for a couple days to see if your allergies get worse with her in your house.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

My first guess was terrier. I had a wire haired terrier when I was younger and thought of him right when I saw the photo. Such a cutie!

Ann

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    My stepmom is a professional in the world of show dogs. I showed her the photo you posted and she said its a poodle mixed with something, possibly border collie. She said you need to remember it will require professional grooming so keep that in mind when figuring out the cost of owning that dog. She's a cutie!
    Border Collie? I don't see that at all. Not that I'm trying to contradict your mom, who is clearly an expert, but I'm curious what features are collie'ish?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

I was going to guess Portugese water dog, we have one in our neighborhood and her body type looks similar. I can see the schnoodle in the face, and I'm guessing the border collie guess comes from her facial coloring/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast