Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do royals breastfeed?

As I'm reading all the royal baby hoopla, the thought popped into my head. I'm just curious- does anyone know if royals tend to breastfeed? Did Elizabeth or Diana or any other 'royalty' breastfeed? I know Will and Kate, for example, are trying to appear 'normal', but breastfeeding is one of those things that just doesn't seem so compatible with their lifestyle (lots of nurses and nannies, public engagements and trips without baby, etc). Anyone know?
    Last edited by mm123; 07-24-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The first thing that popped into my head yesterday when they presented the baby was "I wonder if she's going to breastfeed?" I would not be surprised if she does, and would completely understand if she doesn't.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Princess Diana reportedly breastfed both of her children. I think it is frequently done in the UK. It would be nice if she does, but, in her situation (constant travel and paparazzi) I can also totally understand if she chooses not to. Whatever she does, the world will be watching

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

I would guess she will breastfeed. I heard she wanted an all-natural birth (with hypnobirthing), so I'd assume she'd want to breastfeed too. Hopefully she has a good lactation consultant on hand in case she experiences any difficulties.

I'd love to see her wear the little prince.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

My initial gut feeling was that she would given her desire to have a natural birth, etc. but Williams comment when they were presenting the baby made me think otherwise. He commented that this was the first time they really got to see the baby and they were getting properly acquainted. I took that to mean that perhaps she hadn't really seen the baby much between birth and presenting him - so maybe he was bottle fed to this point?
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    My initial gut feeling was that she would given her desire to have a natural birth, etc. but Williams comment when they were presenting the baby made me think otherwise. He commented that this was the first time they really got to see the baby and they were getting properly acquainted. I took that to mean that perhaps she hadn't really seen the baby much between birth and presenting him - so maybe he was bottle fed to this point?
    I really think his comment was in response to a question about the name. He meant they had just met the baby in person and had not settled on his name yet, not that they had not been with the baby for the previous day and night. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

IMHO it is none of our business. I think it is incredibly sad that we think of parents who don't breast feed their kids are not the same as a breast fed kid or if the parents don't breastfeed then they don't love their children as much or think of them as second class citizens or something. I want to be pro breast feeding and I breast fed both of my girls, but it is this kind of holier than thou attitude about breast feeding that really ticks me off and rubs me the wrong way about the pro breast feeding crowd and was a main factor in me not attending LLL meetings.

I feel the same way about how people are shamed if they have a c section as well.

In both situations a happy baby and happy parents are all that matters.

(Princess Margaret was the same age as my paternal grandma and in the 50s and 60s there was a big push to make things easier for parents so I think that is why there was such a push for formula back then. I don't think my grandma breast fed either my dad or her uncle. A wet nurse in Queen Victoria's time was quite the norm from what I remember learning in various history classes)
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    IMHO it is none of our business. I think it is incredibly sad that we think of parents who don't breast feed their kids are not if the norm or don't love their children as much or think of them as second class citizens or something. I want to be pro breast feeding and I breast fed both of my girls, but it is this kind of holier than thou attitude about breast feeding that really ticks me off and rubs me the wrong way about the pro breast feeding crowd and was a main factor in me not attending LLL meetings.

I feel the same way about how people are shamed if they have a c section as well.

In both situations a happy baby and happy parents are all that matters.
    I don't think anyone on this thread said anything about it being shameful if she doesn't, people are speculating on if she will. I don't think I have heard anyone on this board ever say that formula feeding is not the norm (in fact, I think most folks here comment that BFing is not as common as FFing) and I certainly have never heard a BBBer say that FFing mom doesn't love her child as much (and lived to tell about it, at least). In fact, amost every post on this thread has said "I wonder if she will, but would understand if she didn't." The entire birth, pregnancy, naming, car seat etc. are all none of our business, it doesn't stop everyone from talking about it.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    I thought that comment meant he's only seen the baby via ultrasound and are now (since birth) getting to know him.

I'm curious as well if she'll be breastfeeding him. I hope she does both for the sake of the baby and to help society accept breastfeeding as a normal, natural way to feed a baby.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast