Default When do you sell the last carrier?

Dd is our last and she is 3 1/2. She is too heavy now for me to baby wear really and has been for quite some time. (Around 32 pounds). Plus she hasn't liked being worn since she learned to walk at ten months.. I only have an Ergo left and I have kept it "in case of emergency". We do live in earthquake country and I guess I have always had the vague thought that I might need to walk a long way with her to retrieve older ds or something. We do have a couple of strollers though and I intend to keep those for a while longer--we use the bob nearly every day to walk the dog.

Is there really any reason for me to keep the ergo or should I go ahead and sell it on CL?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Catherine

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm getting ready to sell ours...give away the Ergo and sell the Pikkolo. Sold the others a long time ago. But come to think of it, I'll probably keep the Ergo just a bit longer in case of long hikes. 4 is definitely the outside limit IMO!

for Sandy Hook

I really don't think I could use it anymore except in dire emergency. And then I think I would use the stroller, right? Maybe I should throw it in the car for a few months and plan to sell it later? But what's the cut off? I just can't imagine I could carry her very far anymore. I guess dh and I could trade off carrying her if we had to and we were both present.

Catherine

My ergo has been in the car all summer and I haven't used it once. I can't even remember the last time I used it, so I recently decided that it's time for it to go. It is currently in the laundry room waiting to be washed so I can sell it. For times that I used to use it, like getting back to the car at the beach, I can put him on my back and give him a piggyback ride, or DH puts him on his shoulders.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Menopause?

I can't get rid of my last custom Kinderpack, but I did lend it to my sister. I suppose eventually it will stop being a loan when she has more babies and I don't.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't wear my 3 year old at all. Admittedly, this is mostly because she has a younger sibling and I might be tempted to wear her (or not). I don't know. OTOH, my 10.5 year old expects me to save my baby carriers for her babies.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i have an almost 2.5 year old and i have not used the Pikkolo with her in over a year. It just wasn't that useful and I had a stroller available (UppaBaby G-Lite). I was about to list it but then decided to keep it, thinking i might get used on our next plane trip. and just went to a museum and i was thinking how it might be handy to wear her on my back. for things like this and parades etc where strollers are too low to see anything.

i never thought about the earthquake thing. i personally wouldn't keep it for that reason...i mean, an dire emergency (stuff collapsing, etc) would you really have time to put it on and strap her in the carrier? i imagine that if i was really running for my life the quickest thing would be just to carry her.

I would keep it though if you think you may use it for hikes, parades, festivals etc where a stroller is inconvenient. But it really depends on the kid. If my DD had been anything like DS i would have sold it long ago. My DS walks and rarely wants to be held. My DD doesn't like to walk and if she had her way she'd be held constantly. So i ifgure the carrier would be enough and save my back too.

I know of one mom who wore her 3 year old in an Ergo (in the front! and he would sleep in it!), though so I guess everyone's different. I personally couldn't imagine doing that with either of my kids. Both of my kids are really, really big. My 3.5 year old is at least 40".
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 08-25-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Well, I am not thinking of running from collapsing buildings or anything. No tall buildings where we are anyway. I am thinking of impassable roadways and a need to go and get ds from school or a friend's house or baseball practice. Or a need to get somewhere for medical care or water or something. If the big one hits it could be a long time until roads are really functioning I think. But, I guess realistically I would use the stroller in those circumstances. . . .

Part of me wants to sell it and have it gone, but something is holding me back. I don't think it is sentimental as I used my other carriers much more and parted with them some time ago. I think there is just a niggling voice in the back of my head saying I might need it. This is unusual for me so I'm trying to figure out if it is at all realistic that I might need it or not.

Thanks for the input!
    Catherine