Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Adults with allergies to antibiotics

For those with allergies to antibiotics, how did you find an antibiotic that worked for you? Was it just trial and error (from your doc when you were sick and needed an antibiotic) - or did you go to an allergist (when you weren't sick)? If trial and error, were you nervous to try another antibiotic in case you were allergic to it? I have an allergy to several antibiotics and am feeling very anxious about it. Thanks.

I am allergic to penicillin (diagnosed with the allergy as an adult, during labor) and sulfa meds (diagnosed as a child). My docs just prescribe from other families of drugs, and I haven't experienced any problems or reactions.
    Green Tea, mom to three

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I am allergic to penicillin (diagnosed with the allergy as an adult, during labor) and sulfa meds (diagnosed as a child). My docs just prescribe from other families of drugs, and I haven't experienced any problems or reactions.
    What antibiotics are you able to take - if you're comfortable sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    This minus the during labor part. I don't take antibiotics very often, but I believe I am usually prescribed a Z-pack (Zithromax??) and have not had any issues.
    Mamma to a pretty little princess 3/06, a long awaited blessing 6/11, and a sweet surprise 11/13!

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    What antibiotics are you able to take - if you're comfortable sharing?
    I have taken azithromycin (Z pack) without issue, clindamycin, metronidazole, macrobid (for a UTI) - there are lots of options, and IME doctors can be very resourceful.
    Green Tea, mom to three

I am allergic to tetracycline and primary care doctors prescribe for me as needed. Which antibiotic is most appropriate depends on the illness and for UTIs they usually grow out a culture to make sure they have chosen an antibiotic that is effective.

Many antibiotics are grouped in families. So many people who are allergic to tetracycline are also allergic o doxycycline. And so on. Do you know if your allergies are all to one family of antibiotics?

Catherine

I am allergic to penicillin but can take the Z-pack and doxycycline with no problems. I've had a few doctors try to argue with me, saying I'm probably not allergic to penicillin. OK, well, when I took it a few years ago I woke up in the night itching from head to toe. It was the worst itching ever in my whole life. So, yes, I am allergic! DD1 is allergic to penicillin and augmentin and has only been able to take something that starts with a "C" and now I can't remember.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Cefednir or something like that? Omnicef

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am allergic to penicillin as well, and also the -mycin family (which also covers a K sounding family of drugs as well, can't remember right now). I take sulfa drugs well so that's been prescribed.

And I also had a doc tell me I'd probably outgrown my penicillin allergy - but I just don't care to find out Doc!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm allergic to penicillin and keflex. Trial and error to find one. I'm not allergic to erithromycin but I start to throw up within 20 minutes of dose one. No way could I do a whole course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast