Default What's wrong with DD? (Mysterious high temps)

This is at least the third time in the past year that DD (age 2) has spiked a pretty high fever for no apparent reason, lasting 2-4 days or so. She's been running a high fever (103-104) since at least Sunday morning (in retrospect, I wonder if she wasn't feverish Saturday afternoon, though we didn't pick up on it). She's very hot to the touch (especially under her arms and on her neck). Her sleep has been a little disrupted and she's clearly tired and not feeling 100 percent, but otherwise she seems perfectly fine! No tummy upset, no cough/sneeze/respiratory issues, no rash or other visible problems. She's drinking lots of fluids (we're pushing them). She's eating...maybe a bit less than normal, but still eating. Her eyes look bleary/feverish, especially when medicine is wearing off. We've been giving her Tylenol (alternating with Ibuprofen) and that helps some but doesn't bring her temp all the way down to normal. Been giving her tepid baths, etc. For the most part, today, she seemed happy and comfortable enough (with the medicine)--laughing, playing, etc. Got very tired right before naptime and bedtime (bleary eyes, asking for bed, etc.). Any ideas or advice? Last time this happened I did take her in to the ped, but they basically just said it was probably viral, should clear up on its own, nothing to worry about. Ped said some kids just are "over responders" and run really high temps when they get sick (that wasn't quite how she phrased it, but something like that), and DD may be one of those. I don't really want to take her into the ped tomorrow unless we have to since I figure ped will likely say the same thing again as last time this happened AND (bigger issue) I figure it may be nearly impossible to get into see ped with the back-to-school crush right now (and I'd rather not expose her to any other germs unnecessarily). But I also want to make sure I do whatever I can to help her get well (and soon)! It's a bad time for me to be missing work (naturally)!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Sounds like how my boys are when they have strep. Lethargy always tips me off.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

UTI? I've heard that fever is often the only symptom. I'd take her in for a urine culture.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just had pneumonia, and fever was my only symptom for the first week.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    UTI? I've heard that fever is often the only symptom. I'd take her in for a urine culture.
    that was the first thing I thought of.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

MMMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A couple of years ago, DD2 had an inexplicable, consistent high fever for a week. Couldn't figure out what it was because she did not have any other apparent symptoms, and she acted fine. Turned out she had an inner ear infection.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My thoughts were it's either viral or a UTI or Ear infection.

My 12 yr old this weekend came to me and asked if I felt hot telling me he didn't feel so good. he was warm and decided to take himself to his bed for a nap. That evening he said his stomach hurt a little and he was not hungry... we kept up with the fluids. The next morning the fever was gone but his stomach was still feeling upset. He ate a pancake and a piece of turkey bacon and was ok. Then he had diarrhea. That evening he said he felt like eating a hamburger... got 2 bites in and decided he was going to just eat a few fries and call it dinner. Packed up his food and we came home. The following morning he was fine and that was that. When I mentioned it to a neighbor she said a couple of people at her work were dealing with some kind of stomach bug recently.... maybe some weird virus is making the rounds. Funny thing was, no one else in our household got anything.

I hope your little one feels better!

cntrymoon2 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just went through this with my DD, who is almost 4. I suspected Roseola, even though she's at the tail end of the age it's most common. Your DD is right in the common bracket for it. Sure enough a day or two after the fever broke for good, DD has the beginnings of a rash across her chest.