petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Gift cards on back to school list?

My friend told me that her 7th graders back to school list included a walmart gift (not sure what the value was). She isn't going to get it because she doesn't know how it will be spent. I admit, I think it's a rather odd request. Is this common for anyone else?
    Eta: this is on top of the typical things: pencils, notebooks, folders, etc.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 08-26-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm totally down with sending those in. Teachers often buy all sorts of stuff out of pocket. I trust that they will use things on necessary and needed supplies.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I ran into a 5th grade teacher from DD's school at Target. She had a stack of green notebooks in her hand. I asked about it and she said that when they come up with the school supply list in the spring, they don't have all of the lessons planned out for the year so they sometimes need more than they thought. She had already been to Staples the day before buying whatever deal they had there to use for her classes.

I wouldn't have a problem sending a gift card in. I'm sure it will be used on items for the classroom.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's weird, but hopefully will be spent honestly. In Kindy, the teacher asked every parent to send in $15 on top of all the school supplies to cover things for class projects including food (apples to make applesauce for example) or other craft things. At the end of the year, she had leftover money from that and just did a big pizza party for the class.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We aren't allowed to ask for gift cards. We are two weeks into the school year and I've already spent several hundred dollars out of pocket. I'd love to use gift cards to purchase ink for the classroom printers and other various supplies that I need to purchase out of my own money.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

This is a good reminder, I need to get a gift card to Office Depot for DS's teacher - she didn't ask for gift cards, but someone asked at Back to School Night where she buys class supplies. I think it's crazy that the teachers spend their own money. I suppose some teachers don't and the kids in the class don't get all the supplies they need. I'll pony up a gift card to help.