Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son rode the bus to K last year. We had no problems -- although we put him on the bus in the morning and most days he went to aftercare in the afternoon

Something I did (and will do again this year) put my name, phone number, address, etc on a tag on his backpack. Let him know it was there. if he got lost/needed me called, he'd have all the information at his fingertips and not have to rely on remembering it.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS3 rode the bus to school and you were required to have an adult to pick them up from the bus stop or they took them back to school. Here in SC its the same way if an adult is not at the bus stop for a K child they are return to the school.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

DD1 took the bus in kindy. In fact, her school required that all students take the bus the first day of school so that everyone knew the routine. DD1 LOVED the bus! She thought it was the best time of the day.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I took the bus when I was in Kinder and so did dd. Wow, I never heard of people having issues with Kinders riding a school bus. One thing was that our driver (and I believe all of our district's drivers, not sure) had the Kinders sit towards the front of the bus so they were closer to the driver. You could ask about this if it would make you feel better.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    ETA: Our district has a policy that K students must be met by an adult or middle school/high school age sibling, or they are returned to school. So not a lot of chance to drop them at the wrong stop if no one's there to meet them.
    This is the policy with our district. In our case the stop is just at the corner and DD#2 has been there a lot of times as we've occasionally walked her siblings to the stop. She is so looking forward to riding the bus. And as we drive by she has stated tat that's her bus stop. Our district is weird as all the K-3 kids get picked up and dropped off at the Primary school then the kidergarteners get shuttled to the kindergarten campus. They actually practice with the kids so they know which bus to take after school.

Jen
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS rode the bus starting in kindergarten & DD will join him next week once school starts for "real" for the kindergarteners. We're lucky in that they get picked up & dropped off at the daycare, so they have lots of friends riding with them. I think you'll be fine.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our kids ride the bus starting in Kindy. DD1 rode it home in the afternoons only (k is half day). They had a couple of mishaps the year before, so in Kindy the kids have a tag they wear the first month with their bus number on it. I clued DD1 in on looking for our house. And of course I was waiting for her when she got off. Our stop is like #2 after they leave the school grounds so it's not that hard. She didn't complain in Kindy but last year she complained a lot about the noise. But as I recall she was more sensitive last year, she complained school was too noisy in general (class was noisy, cafeteria was noisy). It took her a few months to get used to it.

Forgot to add that Kindy kids sit in front near the driver.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Our school does a similar thing (sit in the first two rows near the driver, must have an adult there or return to school). Also the teachers make name tags with the student name, bus number, and parent phone number. They're supposed to wear them the first week of school. The drivers also have a list of the kids' names and addresses they check at each stop. Both my girls rode in kindergarten and never had a problem. It did take them a week or so to get used to the noise.
    Mom of two girls and a boy

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Both my kids rode the bus. I would not talk to her about getting off at the wrong stop so much as making sure she knows her full name and either her address or your cell phone or something. I think trying to talk to a 5 yo about, "Now if you get off at the wrong stop..." will just freak her out and not really stop it from happening. Honestly the very worse case situation, which is unlikely, is she gets dropped off at a stop with a bunch of other kids and enough parents that it's not clear she shouldn't get off there. And what's going to happen? Some parent is going to recognize right away there is an extra kid without a parent and take care of it. Having said that's the worst case, I have not only never had it happen to me, but never heard of it happening in my town. The first week the K kids have name tags that make it very clear what bus, etc. The bus driver takes special notice of the kids. And there are just so many stops the bus stops at before it has it's full load, and I live in a small town. So by the second week she is going to know which kids at what stop she gets off at. Tell you after school person to stop freaking you out.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My kids have almost always ridden the bus. We are in the same district as TwinFoxes, so there has to be an adult or much older sibling waiting at the stop, K kids sit toward the front, they have a tag of some sort on their backpack to mark them as K, etc.

We have had some minor bus issues over the years, and in general I consider them to be minor incidents that build resilience.

Last year, younger DD rode the school bus to after care and one day she and a friend were so chatty they forgot to get off at the after care stop. This was early in the year before the bus driver really knew which kids get off where. Once they realized, they told the driver who then called the bus supervisor (who called after care) and he took them back to their stop after he finished the rest of the route.

Once older DD forgot to get off at the first stop in our neighborhood. She got off on the second stop and walked back to our house (a couple blocks out of her way). She was upset at the time, but quickly got over it.

She also once left her viola on the bus, which I am told happens a lot. The bus driver dropped it off at the school office the next morning.

The first week of school can also be rocky. Once on the first day of school the bus never came. The bus driver for our route quit (just didn't show up for work that day!) so the route did not run that morning.

Sometimes the bus is late due to traffic, a bus break down, etc. Typically our school system sends an automated voice and e-mail message for all registered riders of that route. If the bus is late arriving to the school in the afternoon, then they send an e-mail and voice mail to parents letting them know that kids are being kept at school until the bus arrives or a new bus is found (in case of mechanical issues). Once during a storm (maybe it was Hurricane Sandy?) some neighborhood streets around our school were so flooded the bus turned around and took the kids back to school because it couldn't safely complete the route.

ETA: I think the only thing I would tell her is if she gets confused to just ask the bus driver. They have a plan in place.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast