Default Toddler carrier?

I am not really a babywearer, other than the Moby and Pikkolo for the first few months, and mostly just at home. But I am at my wits end with my sweet DD and her climbing out of a grocery cart! I usually end up carrying her and trying to push the cart with one hand, and my arm and back are killing me. Other than a 5-pt. harness cart cover (which I cannot find), I'm wondering if there is some sort of easy, inexpensive carrier that I could use with her. I have never tried a hip carry of any kind, but I'm thinking that is what may work best for her at her age/weight (almost 18 months, about 20 lbs.) My initial thought is a Mei Tai of some kind? I would love for it to be lightweight and easy to stash in the car or diaper bag just for use when necessary. Am I on the right track, or would something else work better? Thanks!
    Mom to DS 7/2004
    and DD 3/2012

I wore DD1 on my back in an Ergo until she was well past 2 and it was comfortable.

Also, I had this harness for the grocery cart (http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Buddy-Del...y+cart+harness) when DD1 was little and tried to climb out of the cart.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Beco or a wrap maybe? Is there a Babywearing group near you? If so, you can go try some out to see what works best before you choose one.

I will still put Stachio in the Ergo and he's 4 yo. It isn't often, but when he's really tired and Peanut has passed out in the stroller....It is no heavier than carrying him myself, but I have extra support.

I wear Peanut regularly in the Ergo. He's 2 and certainly over 20 lbs...probably close to 25 lbs. I do the back carry 99% of the time. I found a used one but it was worth every penny. I got it just before Peanut turned 1. I wish I'd gotten one when Stachio was little...we'd have gotten SO much use out of it!
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I can still carry 40lb 3.5 yr old mini me in a back carry in my infantino mei tie (probably over the weight limit but desperate times... It shows no sign of distress)

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I wore DD1 on my back in an Ergo until she was well past 2 and it was comfortable.

Also, I had this harness for the grocery cart (http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Buddy-Del...y+cart+harness) when DD1 was little and tried to climb out of the cart.
    I wore DS past 3 in our ergo. Back was best for us most of the time.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your Pikkolo should work just fine in a back-carry, assuming you haven't already sold it.

YouTube is a great resource for back-carry videos; I used the "hip scoot method" when my DD was small. These days, she holds my shoulders while I grab the straps up.

We do use a KinderPack rather than the Ergo now, but we used the Ergo until past 2.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

(X-posted from other carrier thread)

I carried my 95+% DS until he was 2.5. We used an Ergo until he was 2-ish & then switched to a Patapum Toddler (very, very similar to the Ergo, but with a much higher back). He was well over 30# the last time I carried him on a 2 mile hike (mostly vertical) in SNP and my back was fine (the heat build up was another thing!). Until he was 2 I carried him in the Ergo in the grocery store Every. Single. Time. I was late to using the back carry, but as long as I had the straps adjusted so I was carrying his weight on my hips, it was very comfortable. The strap adjustment is key!
    DS 2/09