jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default ISO homemade tomato sauce recipe

I'm a newbie cook and would like to try making fresh tomato sauce to freeze for later. Anyone have a recipe you're willing to share? Tips, tricks, etc? TIA

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I posted one of my faves recently when someone was asking for a similar recipe ~ it's called tomato glut sauce. Freezes well and easy to make.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ato+glut+sauce

Here's another thread with some good recipes:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ato+glut+sauce
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here's mine. I adapted it from an allrecipes recipe and I make it every other week usually (makes enough for 2-3 meals). Saute 1 smallish chopped onion in some olive oil. Add 3-4 cloves of garlic (I run mine through the garlic press but you could chop or use jarred minced too) after the onions are starting to brown/turn transparent. Pour in 2 of the big cans of crushed tomatoes and 1 big can of diced tomatoes (we like a smoother sauce, if you want chunkier do 2 of the diced and 1 of the crushed). Add in 2 TBSP of sugar (I do a packet of splenda sometimes) a bay leaf, and some kosher salt and pepper. Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Then put in about a half of a small can of tomato paste and 2 TBSP of basil (dried is fine). At this point if you are cooking meatballs you can drop them in and cook them in the sauce if you want. Simmer 30 more minutes and then it's done. Take out the bay leaf before eating!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010