Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Cringeworthy gift: Ever After High doll.

What 'magical touch' makes you special?
    Whenever I bat my eyes or sing a song, boys and animals can't help but come to my rescue. What can I say? I want to bring out the hero in everyone.

VOMIT. brought to you directly from the package of Lula's new Ever After High doll, a birthday gift. Uggggggggggghhhh. Doll comes with stacked platform stilletoes, fishnet stockings, and a strapless dress that will NOT stay up. As Lula says 'stop that! Showing your boobies is NOT royal behavior!' Thank all that is holy in this world that my newly minted 7 year old has more daggum sense than Mattel.

And yes, this could go in the BP. I guess I wanted a wider audience.

FTR I've banned Monster High dolls. Lula's dying for one, and I've told her that the only way she can get one is as a gift, buy it herself, or maybe if she's lucky then Santa will bring her one. The 'friend' who gave this knows it and I guess wanted to somewhat respectfully skirt my rules and make Lula really happy at the same time. Which is fine in theory, but in practice I can't help but think that an awful message. I'd never in a million years buy something like this for a child. You know it's bad when a toy makes a Bratz doll seem wholesome. I'm sincerely hoping that my 'friend' didn't read the box.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ugh. At first I read your description and thought, "are you sure it's not Monster High doll?" I did the wiki on Monster High because DD1 has been invited to a Monster High bday party and is getting stressed because she knows nothing about it, and doesn't know what to expect from the party. Dh and I sorta gaped when we looked at the dolls in the wiki pic. I've seen them at Target, but the packaging hides a lot.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yuck... retch is right. That's awful.

I seriously shake my heads at all the toys marketed to girls these days. So many are borderline skank-like, and i hate the whole message in general that girls have to be "rescued". I am sort of hoping that when she gets older, DD gets into American Girl dolls, i'd happy to fork over $$$ for those if it makes her stay away from the other stuff.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Okay, just googled the Ever After doll and ended up on Mattel's site. W.T.F. They're like "clean" versions of Monster High. I think our kids would get these dolls over Dh's dead cold body. Why does it not surprise me they are sold on Justice's website. Of course I know they are the intended target, but GAH.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    Okay, just googled the Ever After doll and ended up on Mattel's site. W.T.F. They're like "clean" versions of Monster High. I think our kids would get these dolls over Dh's dead cold body. Why does it not surprise me they are sold on Justice's website. Of course I know they are the intended target, but GAH.

ITA!
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I really wish I had not just googled those dolls And I thought LaLaLoopsy was bad/weird - just saw them when helping a friend pick out a present.... This is all pretty darn depressing. I second the PP about my hubby's cold dead body! And mine! And Grandma's! And Auntie's!

Thank goodness for Goldie-Blox!!! Maybe she'll starting creating for younger girls too
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

oh that would drive me nuts! I've banned Monster High Dolls also. I need to add these to the ban list. We also won't shop Justice. Just no. DD knows it's because of all the stupid toys and things that are in there. It hasn't been an issue so far.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    Yuck... retch is right. That's awful.

I seriously shake my heads at all the toys marketed to girls these days. So many are borderline skank-like, and i hate the whole message in general that girls have to be "rescued". I am sort of hoping that when she gets older, DD gets into American Girl dolls, i'd happy to fork over $$$ for those if it makes her stay away from the other stuff.
    Lula's gift from DH and I is the Target version of the American Girl doll. She's been asking for an AG since the last school year so we decided to go with the less $$$$ version to gauge her interest. She loved her doll. Loves, loves, loves her. And it is VERY interesting the different play the two dolls get. Her OG (Our Generation) doll gets dressed, does all kinds of fun sweet pretend play, and the creepy awful EverAfter High doll is plotting to poision her mother the queen in order to take all the power and become queen herself. Kind of scared the crap out of me.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    Lula's gift from DH and I is the Target version of the American Girl doll. She's been asking for an AG since the last school year so we decided to go with the less $$$$ version to gauge her interest. She loved her doll. Loves, loves, loves her. And it is VERY interesting the different play the two dolls get. Her OG (Our Generation) doll gets dressed, does all kinds of fun sweet pretend play, and the creepy awful EverAfter High doll is plotting to poision her mother the queen in order to take all the power and become queen herself. Kind of scared the crap out of me.
    This made me . I fear this age/stage. We were invited to a Monster High themed party and the rain plan was to watch the Monster High movie. I was so, so thankful that it ended up being sunny so the only exposure DD got was plates and napkins.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh. I hadn't heard of these, but I looked them up and they do look truly awful. They seem based on an upcoming book (or vice versa, I guess) by an author whose work I've always really liked (Shannon Hale). It makes me sad that a potentially good book could be overshadowed by horrendous toys.

Wonder if there's any way I can get the book into my house without my DDs then wanting the dolls?
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast