bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Good or bad idea for a gift??

On pinterest I saw this cool idea. Basically you put together a photo book of your love story with your spouse. I'd LOVE to do this for DH. I think it would be really nice to have, I'd love for the kids to see it and see a tangible symbol of how we found each other etc. I have a coupon for a free shutterfly book. So I'm all set, right?

Here's the conundrum. I want to give it to DH but he is MUCH more skilled at photos and book crafting than I am. He's a professional, actually. I'm sure I can whip something together but he can make it extraordinary, really SO SO much better. The other issue is that much of our "material" for our early years is in all kinds of different formats as we have been married for over 12 years now! I could REALLY benefit from his skill set.

Should I shelve the idea to make the book myself? Should I try to involve DH in making it? What do you think? Good gift or not?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would tell your DH you want to make it if he is the professional. What a nice idea.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I think it depends on your dh. Would he see this as one more obligation on an already full plate? (That's what my dh would think.). Or would he see it as a fun opportunity to collaborate with you to creating something meaningful for you both? If the later, I would ask him to do it as a joint gift, like for Christmas or your anniversary. If the former, I might just do the best I could on my own and give it to him as a surprise.

Catherine

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A sweet handmade drawing is always better than a slick professional card.
    In other words, make it yourself and surprise him. Keep it simple, keep the ambition level low, remember your goal.. just tell the story. Doesn't have to be perfect or include every thing.

Nice idea.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    In other words, make it yourself and surprise him. Keep it simple, keep the ambition level low, remember your goal.. just tell the story. Doesn't have to be perfect or include every thing.

Nice idea.
    ITA!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Several years back my DH made me a photojournal. I do digital editing a few times a week. His was quite simple. But knowing the thought and effort that went into it made it incredibly special. It sounds like a good part of the work will be gathering all the photos. Perhaps you could put together organized digital files with the best photos from each year, make a book with your own written memories and gift it to him as a book specifically for him, with a suggestion that you collaborate together on a book for the kids.

Nice idea.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Shutterfly can make you look like a pro and would probably cramp his style since he's a professional. He will certainly appreciate the time and thought you put into it. What a great idea for a gift.
    DS age 9

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Nice idea.
    Yeh that. Sounds like a lovely gift and meaningful to surprise him with it.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What a wonderful idea!

One Mother's Day DH surprised me with a simple album that he had filled with photos printed off from the computer of me and DC. It is a store-bought album with plastic sleeve pockets. Some of the photos are blurry, some are photos of me that I would not have chosen. He didn't even fill the whole album so there are all these empty sleeves in the back, lol, but I cherish this gift. The effort and thought make all the difference.

Make the book for your DH and maybe you two can collaborate on an expanded version later.