SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Head to toe welts caused by virus??

We have NEVER experienced this in our almost 11years of parenthood. DD2 has had head to toe welts for over 36 hours. As a food- and environmental-allergic family, I am VERY paranoid about hives. Thankfully, she has no other symptoms of allergies (no difficult breathing, fever, etc). I've been giving her diphenhydramine, small amounts of topical hydrocortisone, and cool showers. The hives have been ebbing and flowing. When I spoke with the peds office this AM they diagnosed it over the phone as very common and most likely due to a viral infection. The hives WILL ebb and flow and most likely last 5-6 days!! YIKES!!!!! She said no worries about coming in for a consult... Just keep doing what we are doing (I am going to d/c the hydrocortisone and try to find something non-steroidal for multiple days). Has anyone experienced this?? I am working on getting into the allergist (had to cancel our new patient appt last month). I just envision a HUGE allergy to dust mites or something in our environment that is new to us.

TIA!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just a quick response.... But yes- we have experiences welts and gives from a virus! Shocked me actually and I thought the worst, but cleared in a few days.

I never heard of this- until last weekend when it happened to me!!!!! I thought I was allergic to a new sweater but the next morning I woke up completely covered- I'm on my 4th day of steroids and finally feel a bit more normal. Same thing - dermatologist said it was a virus. Hope the girls don't get it- misery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes we have had this too and were told the same thing as you- that hives will come and go and most likely be gone within 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happens to DD1 and me whenver we get sick, we just manifest viruses on our skin. It looks DISGUSTING, but they always go away in about a week. Sorry for your DC, it sucks. I like oatmeal baths when mine get really bad, cool showers, cool compresses are particularly bad areas. IME, benadryl doesn't help much.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you soooo much for the responses!!!! Definitely puts my mind at ease! Sad that hearing it from the Peds didn't, though.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

I've had it too a few times. It's terribly uncomfortable - so sorry for your DD I was given a special antihistamine when I went in to the clinic. Can't remember the name - it's like Benadryl (knocked me out) but super strong. Being knocked out was a good thing considering how uncomfortable I was. Although my regular allergy meds didn't do much I did find that topical Benadryl helped with some of the itching. Along with oatmeal baths and Aveeno lotion.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton