Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have been. But, it was a long time ago. And I was already well versed in what had happened and images from the Holocaust, so I don't think I found it as shocking as some people do when they go.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post

ETA: OP you might be interested in seeing this, maybe with your DS. I thought of it when pp said the sheer scale of inhumanity is hard to understand. This was a REALLY GOOD film. Powerful but without having to actually view the horrors.

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Paper-C...l&trkid=222336
    This is an EXCELLENT movie, by the way.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Don't feel stupid. I was interested in your question, as I have never been to the museum but have family in the area so we could go, and would wonder about bringing my kids. I think I understand what you're saying about feeling this is part of your family's story and is something you knew at a young age, but which your child is shielded from. It's hard to know when to actively open that shield. I feel this in our family in talking about racism, news stories about race, etc. I am white, but DH is black. He knew things, talked about things, experienced things from early in his life that our kids have to be actively introduced to, and doing that is not easy. But leaving it out isn't good for them either, in understanding their own family, selves and world. I am encountering this challenge a lot in recent years.

Anyway, your son might be interested in a graphic novel of The Diary of Anne Frank, http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Frank-Aut...+of+anne+frank.
    It has a few rough drawings (several of Anne and sister Margo with shaved heads, falling ill at the concentration camp, one of emaciated bodies), but it also has the story of her life with all its humanity, and great snippets of info that lend detail to her family, and that time and place in history. My 8 year old was riveted by the book, although not my 11 year old who I think does not like to be emotionally affected by stories. The amazon reviews of the book are also very good.
    Last edited by american_mama; 11-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

When I was in 2nd grade I started reading lots of fiction books about the resistance movement, the ghettos , and the camps. Reading is different than seeing pix. I was quite well versed in the holocaust for a kid who grew up in rural areas with maybe 2 Jewish kids in the whole school. I went to the museum when I was 30 and it hit me so hard. Totally different experience. So I would just find more books to read.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I haven't been to the Holocaust museum in 10 years. When I went, the hardest room for me was the vast space that was just filled with shoes. Thousands and thousands. of shoes. Which is just a tiny portion of all the people killed, but still, it's stunning to see. Empty baby shoes are harder to take than even the photos.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    If I am remembering it correctly, the children's exhibit in DC does not have graphic images (no skeletal concentration camp prisoners, etc.) but they do go through the ghettoization of cities to Kristallnacht to the camps in simple displays. It is all very well done and while it's very emotional, I don't recall anything visually graphic, but, again, it's been nearly 20 years since my visit.

The longer, full, multi-floor, exhibition, however, there is NO WAY that I would take a child under the age of 12 or 13 with whom I could have a more thorough discussion. It's amazing ... and I am told by friends who have been to both that the one at Yad Vashem is more impressive for the sheer scale. It is both horrific and hopeful in some points ... those spots of hope are what kept my friend & I moving through the full exhibit when we visited about 12 or so years ago.

In addition to the history of the Nazi propaganda machine, there are death camp photos, memorabilia, and, in one of the last corridors before the eternal flame memorial & guestbook, an entire display of shoes in a plexiglass box while you're standing in a corridor filled with family portraits on walls that go all the way up to the ceiling.

It's a very moving display all the same and brings you into a quiet contemplative state (IMO) fitting for what I can only describe as a "chapel' area where the eternal flame burns.
    The full exhibit is incredibly disturbing. There are things you learn and see that go well beyond your average documentary history class. The magnitude of the crimes committed is astounding. I think once you visit (generic you) you'll never compare anyone to Hitler or the Nazis again.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I haven't been to the Holocaust museum in 10 years. When I went, the hardest room for me was the vast space that was just filled with shoes. Thousands and thousands. of shoes. Which is just a tiny portion of all the people killed, but still, it's stunning to see. Empty baby shoes are harder to take than even the photos.
    Yes, that's the part that got to me the most as well - so poignant and so simple.

It was right near the end of the exhibit and also near the hallway of photographic portraits.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Yes, that's the part that got to me the most as well - so poignant and so simple.

It was right near the end of the exhibit and also near the hallway of photographic portraits.
    Me three. I also wound up with a headache after. It was so emotionally draining and I spent most of my time there crying.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Karinyc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    The full exhibit is incredibly disturbing. There are things you learn and see that go well beyond your average documentary history class. The magnitude of the crimes committed is astounding. I think once you visit (generic you) you'll never compare anyone to Hitler or the Nazis again.
    Agreed. I do think everyone should tour that museum at least once. I'm very well read on the subject and still found it incredibly difficult to process. My DH and I were both 40 when we visited and it was emotionally draining. I think 6 is a bit young and a lot of the imagery presented is very graphic. The Nazis loved to document their barbaric acts. I think it's more appropriate for children age 10 and over. Like your son, I began reading about the holocaust at a very, very early age. And some adults around me felt I was too young to inquire. To gain a better perspective, I read mostly biographies & autobiographies of survivors. I work with children 6 and over and we have introduced the subject in a very frank, candid manner. I don’t go into graphic detail, but kids have tons of questions and are tremendously inquisitive. One of the movies and books that is currently popular on this subject, although completely fictional and, some feel, controversial, is “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas”. For some reason that particular book (and movie- I’ve shown it to students 7 and up) resonates with young children:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy...triped_Pyjamas

http://www.amazon.com/The-Boy-Stripe.../dp/B001N26GFM

I agree to a degree with the criticism surrounding the book and movie, but it does allow for a broader conversation about the subject matter. I always preface that it’s a fictional account before viewing. However, “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” was specifically written for children and the holocaust is viewed through the eyes of the protagonist who is a child of 8. It does a good job of appealing to its target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    It definitely sounds like it's something to skip for now. I'm feeling a bit stupid for having asked.
    I don't think it's a stupid question either. My grandmother escaped the holocaust & I don't even fully know her story. I just recently read parts of her manuscript which include literally running away from her home @ age 7 & hiding in fields while planes bombed overhead. But she was lucky to never be in a concentration camp. My other grandparents were all American- both of my grandfathers were in the US Army at the time. I find it very difficult to read or watch Holocaust stories, even though I feel like I should. This is actually an integral issue that Jewish educators agonize over- how to teach the younger generations, what message exactly to portray & to educate in the right vein without traumatizing. A generation ago they didn't have the luxury of asking those questions. Just like you were exposed to your grandparents' generation of survivors & surrounded by firsthand accounts, many of today's parents (almost grandparents by now) were raised by survivors & the traumas were just part of their lives. It wasn't a decision how to transmit the messages of the holocaust, it was part of their lives & psyche. Now that the survivors are almost gone many people are struggling over protecting the children from the horrors vs. exposing them to what occurred.

I recently watched an excellent (youtube?) video where they interviewed a grandmother / survivor who now takes groups of teens on tours of Auschwitz. She was a really classy European woman & the message was more upbeat than depressing. I will try to dig it up. It may have been on www.aish.com which is a Jewish outreach site. If I find it I'll link to it.

eta: found it http://www.aish.com/v/ho/Bobbys-Stor...tml?mobile=yes
    It's called Bobby's (grandma's) story. I haven't watched it since the summer so i dont recall if it would be suitable to watch with your DS. Perhaps you may want to preview it & show him some parts. I am pretty sure I got choked up watching it but it isn't particularly graphic, it's just very poignant.
    Last edited by ShanaMama; 11-21-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast