Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Favorite Cookie Recipes, Anyone?

OK, so I have my family recipes that I've got plans to bake this week (probably should start the pfeffernusse macerating anyway!) but DH wants to bring a double-chocolate cookie to the annual cookie exchange we attend at his friend's place in Lancaster, PA.

Anyway, the last time I made a double-chocolate cookie, it was an unqualified disaster, so I'm looking for some tried-and-true chocolate cookie recipes from those of you who bake.

I'm also interested in collecting recipes I may not have - I already have recipes for pfeffernusse, lebkuchen, and springerle, for example, so I've got the traditional German cookies covered, but I'm always interested in new variants of drop cookies!

Thanks in advance and happy, happy, happy holidays to all of you.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Favorite Cookie Recipes, Anyone?

I make double chocolate chip cookies by simply adding 3/4c unsweetened cocoa powder to the dry ingredients of a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe. Just whisk it in and prepare like normal. They are very yummy and they sell well at bake sales so they likely are good. I use this recipe as my base. http://www.ghirardelli.com/bake/recipe.aspx?id=1017

Eta- my family likes snicker doodles, chocolate mint cookies, and frosted sugar cookies. To go the chocolate mint I do a spin on the Hershey Kiss PB blossom cookies but make a chocolate cookie and add a chocolate mint Kiss to them.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love neiman Marcus cookies, even if snopes says the associated story isn't true. The recipe is all over the internet, and is TDF.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here's the recipe I use; it's actually chocolate-cherry chip, but I always leave out the cherries. Last year I made the peppermint variation.

10 ounces unsalted butter, softened
    2 cups sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    12 ounces chocolate chips
    2 ounces dried cherries, chopped (optional)
    OR
    10 peppermint candies, finely crushed (optional)

DIRECTIONS
    Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda, then add to mixer. Add chocolate chips (and cherries, if using). Scoop by tablespoon into a container; wrap tightly and freeze until solid or up to several months.

For peppermint holiday cookies, roll frozen cookie mounds in finely crushed peppermint candies and bake frozen. For chocolate cherry or double-chocolate cookies, let thaw for 10 minutes at room temperature before baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes; they should be puffy and delicate to the touch, just barely set. It might take longer if baking frozen, just look for the edges to be set. Cool on the baking sheet.

NOTES
    The cherry quantity is an approximation; leave out the cherries for double chocolate chip cookies.

These come out best when baked on Silpat, and baked frozen or nearly frozen.

Use a size 40 cookie scoop.

A double recipe just barely overflows a 6-quart mixer, but can work.

Thanks so much!

I use the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the Wegman's semi-sweet chips bag. It's similar to the Ghirardelli one, so I could definitely add a bit of cocoa powder … of course, now I'll have to BUY cocoa powder, but that's OK. (I'd hoped to assemble homemade cocoa mix for holiday gifts for DD's teachers now that I can find Mason jars easily!)

And I would totally do chocolate-cherry cookies myself - that's like chocolate-covered cherry cordials.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'll have to post the recipes when I get home for those who are interested, but my biggest hits by far are chocolate walnut biscotti with chocolate chips, cranberry pistachio biscotti, and walnut cups (like mini pecan pies).
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

got this from a cookie thread last year or year before: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocola...es/detail.aspx

made them last Christmas and oh my, they are good. very, very good
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    ...and walnut cups (like mini pecan pies).
    My maternal grandmother makes nut cups like that.

They're not my thing - I hate walnuts - but I appreciate them.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

^^ what about pecans? I always use pecans instead of walnuts, because I hate walnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    ^^ what about pecans? I always use pecans instead of walnuts, because I hate walnuts.
    I've thought about that, but there's a pecan shortage this year so they're expensive. (No joke.)

Also, as long as she has help to do it, Grandma makes them; it might be something she'd like to teach me to do so someone can do them after she's gone.

In a bit of perversity, I actually try to make cookies that nobody else will, which is why I lean towards more unusual ones like pfeffernusse and springerle. (We used to use springerle as teething biscuits, actually, because if you don't store them with a cookie softener or piece of bread, they get REALLY hard.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast