Thread: Beco soleil??

Default Beco soleil??

Any experience using this carrier? I have the beco gemini and loved it but wondering if the soleil is better since it can be used longer for a toddler.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had the Gemini and got a Soleil too. I think the Gemini is so awesome for little babies. I used mine for the first 6 months. But the Soleil wasn't out so I didn't try it with a littler baby. It could be great for that too. I got rid of my Gemini when I got my Soleil. I really love the Soleil and my DS2 does as well. I back carried my 3yo in it this summer for a while and it was comfortable too.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Do you know at when its appropriate to use the soleil without the infant carrier? I'm confused because I see charts saying the ssc is for weight 7-45 lbs and infant insert 7-15lbs.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe the insert is for comfort and not necessarily size? I don't have a Beco but I know a lot of people *don't* buy the newborn insert for the Tula (my SSC of choice) and it works fine as long as babe isn't scrunched.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

Do you think the soleil could easily be customized with fabric panels? I know the gemini is harder because the fabric ends up covering the snap buttons. I have a seen the soleil IRL so inhale no idea but I have found tutorials for customizing geminis.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by thelilprincess View Post
    Do you know at when its appropriate to use the soleil without the infant carrier? I'm confused because I see charts saying the ssc is for weight 7-45 lbs and infant insert 7-15lbs.
    The chart includes the use-time with the insert.

I hear that the Soleil does NEED the insert for it to fit a smaller babe properly, but I haven't looked at it much. It's too new for me to have learned enough about it and the Beco offerings at the time I was registering didn't sound like they would suit my frame - I have broad shoulders and am bigger than their "fit model" at the time, so I ruled out the Butterfly II then.

As far as using the insert, it's usually for positioning more than for weight. You want a floppier baby to be "visible and kissable" while being worn, so the inserts usually position a baby so they don't curl up into the chin-to-chest "C" position like a curled shrimp, which can cut off their airway.

Once a baby has better head control/neck strength, you can usually pitch the insert. That said, I had an Ergo and absolutely HATED its infant insert (new "burrito" style insert with bum-pillow) so I used a wrap until my DD fit properly in the carrier without it. I just googled the Soleil's insert and it looks VERY similar to the Ergo's insert that I hated so much.

Quote Originally Posted by thelilprincess View Post
    Do you think the soleil could easily be customized with fabric panels? I know the gemini is harder because the fabric ends up covering the snap buttons. I have a seen the soleil IRL so inhale no idea but I have found tutorials for customizing geminis.
    I think you could customize it with your own choice of fabric by playing with a print one in person to see how it's constructed.

BUT ... why not look through the prints & see if there's one that suits you instead?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle