I've always only worn my DCs in ring slings and pouches, never owned a SSC. YDS is now 2.5 and likely our last ;( and hasn't wanted to be worn regularly since shortly after 2 (unlike dd who was in the zolo till 3.5!). We have a Kelty frame pack that dh uses when we go on hikes but when he gets tired or needs a break it just doesn't fit me well at all. Last time I used it I need up walking landing forward 45* the entire last mile of our hike. Not at all comfy. I posed this question on TBW and was suggested a toddler kinderpack, Tula or olive and applesauce. I looked at them and they look fab but I can't justify over $100 at this point in our baby days, let alone the $175 and up that those code, for a carrier that may not see much use and ds might hate. A local mama is selling a boba air for $50, which is a perfect price point, but looking at it I'm not sure if it's a good option since it's so bare bone, no padding, Kwim?

Anyone have one? Would you use it for the occasional hike? Fwiw, we hike in mountains but with 8 and 10 yr olds with us it's not like we're doing crazy rugged terrain and no climbing obviously, but more than just a stroll through Disney. Any other ideas for a toddler compatible carrier that isn't so $$? Even on eBay and fsot at TBW those things are at or above retail!
Ds is about 28lb and 33 mos old. I'm 5'6, longer waisted and size xs/s.