Withall this talk of dropoff parties/playdates...interesting as I cannot imagine my DS (4) being remotely interested in being dropped off at a party or playdate in the near future. I took him to a couple bday parties and unlike most the other boys he did not want to leave my side for 1st half hour. He does not seem all that interested in playing with other kids, though i know he does play well with them and has "friends" at school. He does get very excited at the thought of going to his class mates bday parties, but I suspect it's only bc there will be pizza and cake. I don't know if it's bc he's not old enough, or if he just a clone of my DH (LOL).

I normally wouldn't mind so much, but it makes things hard for me too. I can't see myself ever doing dropoff bday parties with him. And i've been trying to meet other people in my neighborhood, and our neighborhood FB group one lady on my street posted that they have a 4yo boy (only child) who is literally begging for another kid to play with, and she'd loved to find playdates, etc. I would love to say "Oh, i have a 4yo boy and i live on xxx street too, i'd love to do a playdate" but i don't bc i'm afraid DS will not want to play with the other kid, and that will be seen as totally rude. DS has stated numerous times he doesn't want to play with anyone. DS birthday was last week, and we asked who he wanted to come to his party, and he literally said "he wanted nobody to come", he just wanted his Nana and Papa there. What kid says that? LOL. I know DS gets overstimulated easily, but still.

Anyway, just wondering how atypical my DS is, or if it's just something he grows out of. People talk about how their preschoolers are always wanting to play with other kids, which is interesting bc...my DS could care less. I guess the upshot is that he can play beautifully all by himself. DH was super sick last week and one day (when i had to work) DH literally lied in bed te entire day (in the master bedroom) while DS played on his own the entire time in other rooms of the house. He only got up to fix DS a sandwich for lunch. DH said that he played so well, and at some point "It's okay Dad. I LIKE playing by myself." What 4yo says this? LOL. I don't think this is just about being shy, bc DD is shy too and she is not like this. I think DD is like me, reserved but she DOES enjoy the company of others. She gets excited seeing her friends outside of school. OTOH, DS seems like he prefers to play alone or with adults (or much older children). DH and I joke and call him our "mini-Sheldon Cooper" (from Big Bang Theory), bc seriously, my DS is 4yo version of him.