Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Acetaminophen in the news

Another thread got onto this acetaminophen topic and I had mentioned its combination with prescription drugs and then I saw this pop up on the news.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/health...html?hpt=hp_t2

FYI for anyone on prescription painkillers or who takes acetaminophen regularly.
    DD
    DS

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This isn't really new. This is the same reason they say not to use combo cold meds, because so many people take a combo med and then take more of a same single dose med.

Labels really need to be much clearer and easier to read. I'm surprised at how many adults don't realize what is actually in the combination medications they take.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It might not be new, but it's definitely worth posting because it is so serious, and lots of people take combo medicine, not realizing that acetaminophen is the active ingredient in both. Or give combos of meds to their kids.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

I agree that labeling needs to be improved somehow. I'm pretty careful with the Tylenol, personally, but I have taken it away from my (very smart) dh a few times and shoved Motrin at him instead because I was concerned about the beer he had the night before or a combo cold med he was taking. I did not know it is in prescription pain killers, maybe because I have only taken those once (scratched my eye on a tree limb, omg that hurt).

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    It might not be new, but it's definitely worth posting because it is so serious, and lots of people take combo medicine, not realizing that acetaminophen is the active ingredient in both. Or give combos of meds to their kids.
    Yeah, I did know it was not new (I had mentioned coming across similar info when researching DH's pain meds for his knee surgery in the other thread) but I actually had not really known about all the acetaminophen in those drugs and the dangers until I actively looked into it, and then I saw this pop up in today's news, about the recommendations finally going into effect. It did seem worth mentioning, especially since we were just talking about it here yesterday too.
    DD
    DS

And not just prescription meds. For example, someone might take some extra strength tylenol, and then take nyquil or alka seltzer plus too. They all contain the same active ingredient, and it's acetaminophen.

ETA: Here is a list of OTC meds that have acetaminophen in them. It includes meds like what I listed above, but also commonly used medications like Benadryl, Cepacol, Dimetap, Excedrin, Midol, Robitussin, Sudafed, Vicks... So basically, when you take any of these in combination, you need to be extremely careful not to exceed the recommended dose for acetaminophen and you need to know exactly how much is in each medication. Even a small overdose can be deadly.
    http://www.knowyourdose.org/common-medications
    Last edited by mommylamb; 01-15-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I didn't say it wasn't worth posting. And I didn't mean to give that impression. But this problem has been around for a long time and not just with acetaminophen.

I think that labeling clarity for meds is actually a REALLY big problem that has been ignored for a long time. There are a scary number of overdoses and even more low level damage being done by these meds. With the aging of the population it's only going to get worse. Now that I'm in my mid 40s and can barely read the prescription bottles we get (so not kidding) I am realizing more and more what an issue this is.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't worth posting. And I didn't mean to give that impression. But this problem has been around for a long time and not just with acetaminophen.

I think that labeling clarity for meds is actually a REALLY big problem that has been ignored for a long time. There are a scary number of overdoses and even more low level damage being done by these meds. With the aging of the population it's only going to get worse. Now that I'm in my mid 40s and can barely read the prescription bottles we get (so not kidding) I am realizing more and more what an issue this is.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you didn't think it was worthwhile.

The other issue is that there is just such an abundance of drug options out there, which didn't used to be there, and with so many of them containing acetaminophen as an active ingredient (see my previous post), it is more confusing as ever. The labeling rules are extremely lacking. But even if they weren't people would need to be able to pay attention, know the limitations for acetaminophen and be able to add up the amount they are getting per dosage of the various drugs they're taking. It makes it really difficult. Especially when you've got a sick kid or a killer headache.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS is having a minor procedure that will require anesthesia next week. The nurse just told me that the entire week prior is is only supposed to take Tylenol (no aspirin or Motrin) for pain relief. Not sure what the reasoning is, I need to look into it more.
    DS age 9

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post

No worries.
    For some reason the fact that it's the acetaminophen in prescription drugs that can sometimes be more harmful than the hydrocodone was sort of an eye opener for me. I have this fear or concern over prescription pain meds, I guess because of the addiction and abuse issues, but TBH, I mix other drugs all the time and take more than the prescribed doses at times without thinking much on it. (ex Nyquil and advil and alkaselzter). I should be more careful.
    I also have to take prescription anti-seizure meds that make me more at risk for liver damage, so I wonder if I need to be more concerned with drugs like acetaminophen.
    DD
    DS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast