Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Safe Deposit Box at Bank

4 36.36%
  • Fireproof Box at home or off-site

5 45.45%
  • Bury it under the mattress!

2 18.18%
    ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Safe-deposit or Fireproof Box?

Which do you have? This article on Bankrate says that "For the everyday person who is not wealthy or doesn't have any family heirlooms, they're probably not going to need a safe-deposit box."

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/savi...estions-1.aspx

But considering that we also have insurance polices, etc., I'm not sure what us regular folks are supposed to use instead. Fireproof box? FWIW, mine would only be for papers. No jewelry or stocks certificates. Thoughts?
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

We have a fireproof box for important papers. I've thought about it often and would like to reorganize all of it... but I can't see us needing a safety deposit box.
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a box similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-H23...=fireproof+box

We have papers, birth certificates, passports, deed to our house, etc in it. Our will is there too but also on file with our attorney. I think that is sufficient for our needs and it allows me easy access to things we need (passport) w/out the hassle of going to a bank during business hours.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

We also have a fire proof box for important papers. I am in the process of accumulating a just-in-case file to give my sister with a copy of our will, life insurance policies, asset locations etc. if both DH and I die, since she will be the guardian to my children.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012