Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

DS rear faced in his Marathon (classic) until age 4. His legs were folded, but it was fine. You absolutely can RF until the limits of the seat. Foldy legs don't matter at all. Here's a great photo gallery of older kids rear facing:

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum.aspx

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS rearfaced in a Blvd until at least 3.5 and continued to fit forward facing longer. I finally gave him a Frontier so little brother could use the Blvd but I think it would have lasted him awhile longer.

Does your car have reclining seatbacks? It can really help to recline them a notch or two and then make sure the seat is still installed as tightly as it was. Gives a few extra inches of legroom (my dd Sarah is in that album above in a blue seat, in a minivan, lounging with loads of room at age 4.5, lol). Make sure the top of his head isn't closer than one inch to the top of the seatback (make the headrest even with the seat shell, and then see if there's an inch above his head).
    There's a picture in here of a 5 year old posing with her head one inch from the top... http://carseatblog.com/6527/britax-m...-lots-of-pics/
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks! I'm going to try to make DH let him go til 3. I know he's not uncomfortable and he's not at the limit, my main concern is getting the straps tight enough over his hips when he's all folded up. They seem to get caught on the fold of his leg (not a good description) and then the shoulder straps are tight and it's just a pain getting him in. So it's me, not him! Anyone have any tips on this??

I have tried tickling him to get him to sit down. Unfortunately, he thinks it's super funny and then does it as a game. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to think of it as a game, especially these days since I'm 7 months pregnant and not inclined to bend over his carseat for extended periods of time

Maybe I'll keep him in long enough to give it to future DD when she outgrows the infant seat and then buy a Radian or Nextfit or something for him.

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS went to 4.5 in a marathon and blvd. we only turned him bC he hit the weight limit for RF. I found it helpful to totally loosen the straps when they get out, then getting back in, it's not all tight and difficult.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

3.5 in a RA55. DD1 is tiny though, we didn't turn her because she outgrew the seat. It was just time for us.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Both kids till 3.5 in the old classic Marathon, dd was 75th foe height, no problems with leg room, we had in captains chairs in a minivan.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Until age 3 in Blvd--he never seemed to mind his legs being scrunched but he hit the weight limit!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

4.5 in a blvd. she never seemed to be uncomfortable with leg room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I read that britax now has longer harness straps available, that might help with the buckling issue. I would just call them next week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast