Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Deep breath....if your DH is traveling with you it's not a big deal....

I'd bring the Roundabout on the plane for the 2 year old, much easier to contain a child that age and they don't really sit/fit well in the airplane seat. For transport through the airport I'd put the RA ontop or your stroller (bungy), I'd bring your stroller, you never know how far you'll have to walk and 2 year olds can be a challenge in a crowded airport.

I'd do curb side check in, and either check your seat or bring your oldest child's seat with you and gate check...I do like the idea of the vest though for use at your destination, it's not for use on the plane, but at 4 the older one is fine in the airplane seat. I don't like the idea of checking a seat as luggage, I've always used my seats on board.

The RA and MA both easily fit in airline seats, now the Frontier that's a beast!

You can gate check the stroller, no bag needed.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Def bring a stroller- especially walking long passages thru airports- it's just a little crazy and containment is good! We flew with DD 1 (age almost 6) and DD2 (age 18 mos) in Jan. We checked the seats - normally DD1 rides in a Frontier, but for this trip, I bought an inexpensive Graco Turbobooster, and then we took DD2's marathon, as she was a lap child (which was the first and last time she'll be one!!!)- You might check with your airline re: their policy for bagging- I've flown on both Jet Blue and Alaska- and both of them bagged the seats in clear heavy duty bags.

With a 2 yr old, I'd do a seat on the plane- makes for better containment! I'd check your older DC's seat- and I'd do a stroller to help get thru security. We have usually gotten a big cart (the kind you rent) after arriving- and stack all our luggage on it. When we flew, we had 2 seats, the stroller, 2 large wheeled suitcases and 3 backpacks (one DD1 wore with snacks, books, activities for on the plane), one was DD2's diaper bag, and the third was for DH and I (books, digital camera, hotel info, etc) We strapped the 2 seats on top of each rolling suitcase- and then one of us would man the stroller, and one the wheeling cases....which can be a challenge!

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

oooops. So I was talking to DH and we have the Boulevard and the Frontier. DS1 is in the Frontier. I think we'll definitely buy the vest. I'm still reading through the responses with DH...who also totally forgot dropping us off first and doing curbside checkin was an option. He said it's a genius suggestion. =)
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

Default First plane trip with 2 kids + 2 car seats, need some advice

We've installed a Frontier on a plane twice and Britax Boulevard, Marathon and Roundabout. Frontier was to Maui for a long stay before kindergarten started. It fit. But I would probably do something smaller and lighter if you could, even if you have to buy something. Our friends swear by the best. We bring a stroller and have had a kid in the car seat stuffed down into a zippy. The Inglesina Zippy is an amazing travel workhorse of a stroller.

ETA. We always check in curbside if it is offered! Totally worth tipping the bag handlers any day.
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 03-11-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would bring the seat on the plane for the 2 year old, and would recommend buying or renting a safe rider vest.

After seeing a baggage handler toss a car seat from the conveyor belt to the tarmac this weekend while traveling, I will never recommend checking a car seat again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by joules View Post
    oooops. So I was talking to DH and we have the Boulevard and the Frontier. DS1 is in the Frontier. I think we'll definitely buy the vest. I'm still reading through the responses with DH...who also totally forgot dropping us off first and doing curbside checkin was an option. He said it's a genius suggestion. =)
    I would NOT take the Frontier on the plane. That's a step behind what I'd be willing to do. And I think even the Boulevard is going to be bulkier to deal with -- those head wings.

If you buy the vest, PLEASE practice installing it in a familiar car first. Make sure you can get a good install and it will adjust to your kid.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

We purchased the Ride Safer vest last night. Thanks for the suggestions!!

We showed it to DS1 to try and get him excited about it. He said "No, that's not safe. Only my carseat is safe. I can only sit in my carseat." Oh boy. Hopefully we can get him used to it before the trip.
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

Google for more pictures to convince him it's safe, but here's one... http://carseatblog.com/21235/ride-sa...l-vest-review/ Pictures can help a lot
    And a stroller is a must in an airport... easier than a luggage cart to put your BV on, or a place to sit at the gate that feels like a toddler's 'own space'.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

We just got back from our trip. It was successful overall!

I ended up buying the Ride Safer vest. I showed him pictures and also went on a few special trips with him in the sedan (which he never gets to ride in because the car seats are in the mini van). He didn't put up a fight at all and really looked forward to using it. I still feel like the car seat is so much safer though with the side impact protection?

DH dropped me and DS1 off at the airport with all our luggage and we checked in curbside, including DS2's carseat. It was so easy! The carseat didn't get damaged. We used the older spare one we had just in case.

We visited DH's friend and were able to sit 3 kids in a row in his MDX, thanks to DS1's Ride Safer vest. Their daughter and DS1 were in forward facing carseats.

We had a really hard time with DS2 on the flight back home. He refused to sit down and would freak out when we tried to put the lap belt on him (he was perfectly fine on the flight over). I think he was starting to get sick and was just exhausted from the trip. We had to hold onto him during take off and landing (and all the parts in between). The flight attendant gently reminded us that kids over 2 need to be seated with the seat belt buckled. But it wasn't happening. I don't know if this would have been a problem if we had installed his car seat? I'm glad they weren't too adamant about it.

I've been recommending the vest to all my friends that are traveling with little ones.
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by joules View Post
    We've done this before--and my DH has even taken our two sons and left DD with me (whom I contained in the stroller) while I did curbside check in for the bags. Easy Peasy and it kept our more active (and impulsive) son contained a little longer and he enjoyed the bus ride with his dad better than he would have liked standing in line outside with me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast