Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default At home ear wax removal ?

My dd has an issue with major wax build up. We have been going to the doctor about every 4 months to have it cleaned out at an out of pocket expense to us of $175. It is not painful to her but I can always tell when she needs it as she starts watching tv louder and complaining of it itching!

Now don't get me wrong, I am happy to pay that if needed but I was doing some research online and saw a couple of different ways to do it at home. One suggested olive oil and another a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and warm water.

Was wondering if anyone has experience doing this and if so what do you use? I am scared to death of causing her any pain, so if you would not advise doing this I would also like to know!

Thanks,

Ann

DS2 also gets major ear wax buildup. My ped. suggested using Colace. We put several drops in each ear before bedtime. It really does work. DS2's allergist suggested the hydrogen peroxide and warm water mixture. I have not tried this before as we've been successful with the Colace. Ped. said not to get the OTC ear wax removal stuff as those don't seem to work.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

We do the peroxide 2 times per week for DD. This is per her ENT. Her only complaint is that it can be cold. She is prone to ear infections, so we have to discontinue during such times.

Our ENT office recommends mineral oil. Just a few drops in each ear once a week.

DH loves the hydrogen peroxide, as he feels like he gets a better "clean" from it, but you need to wash the ear out after that, which can cause nausea for some people.

Personally, I love the feel of the vacuum at the ENT's, so I'll just keep going there to have it taken care of as needed!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    Our ENT office recommends mineral oil. Just a few drops in each ear once a week.
    Or baby oil. My audiology professor recommended this and does for patients with hearing aids. The oil thins the wax. I have a syringe for meds that I use to get a couple of drops for each ear. I do it for myself and for DS.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I clean my ears out probably at least once a week or so with hydrogen peroxide and an ear syringe. Haven't tried it with my kids but I love the bubbling of the peroxide (if there's wax) and I do it whenever my ear itches. I just fill up my ear canal with peroxide, walk around with my head tilted for several minutes, then blast it over and over (like 10 times) with warm water and my ear syringe (which cannot damage your ear). I do it with water filled in the sink so I can see anything that comes out. It's cool!

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Enterpr.../dp/B000SOJXGA
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I also use hydrogen peroxide on myself. I just put a couple of drops in with an eye dropper and tilt my head until the bubbling calms down. I've never done any kind of rinse, really.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I also use hydrogen peroxide on myself. I just put a couple of drops in with an eye dropper and tilt my head until the bubbling calms down. I've never done any kind of rinse, really.
    I do this also, except I might rinse it out after a few days of the peroxide to get out any wax that's harder to get out.

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I has my ear irrigated at the Drs office and he recommended peroxide so it doesn't get that bad again.
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I do peroxide with the boys. Lay them on my lap pour a little from the cap into the ear canal watch it bubble for a few minutes. Flip do the other ear. It also works after swimming if you can get "water" out.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast