JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Stroller(s) for Disney?

We are planning a trip to Disney in early September - our 8 kids, hubby and I, and my parents. Ages will range from 5mos, 20mos, 3.5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11. Trying to fig out strollers. We have a Phil and Teds inline double and a chicco umbrella. I'm wondering if that's adequate or if we should look into a second double. I just saw the post on apple scooter rentals with a CityMini double. I've never done Disney with kids and it's been YEARS since I've been there.

I think you will want strollers for the babies and the 3.5 year old, though that child won't ride all the time. I think if you've got a double and a single you can cover all the bases. You may want to think about a side by side double over an inline. I think it might be harder to navigate an inline through crowds. I don't know if it will make enough of a difference to warrant renting when you already own, though.

You will always have to fold all strollers for buses. Monorails and ferries usually let you keep them open. I don't know about the smaller resort boats.

I think it would be worth it to have a second double, but I think you could make it work with what you have. When we were there last May, we had our 3 kids, BIL & SIL, and their 2 kids. We had our double, and every single kid rode in the stroller at various times -- including our 8-year-old nephew. One seat was dedicated to our 12 month old, and the other kids sat in the other seat whenever they needed to. If someone was holding the baby, another kid would hop into his seat. We have a City Mini Double, and we think it's perfect for Disney. No trouble with it on buses even, and the fast fold makes it possible to pull sleeping kids out at the very last second before we have to fold it. That has been very useful.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

I think what you have is enough. Six year old can walk, Disney is fun and they'll be excited.

More importantly, we need an updated family picture. I had no idea you had 8 kids. I've missed a couple somewhere.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
    I think what you have is enough. Six year old can walk, Disney is fun and they'll be excited.

More importantly, we need an updated family picture. I had no idea you had 8 kids. I've missed a couple somewhere.
    Lol! Number 8 is actually still growing...due in less than 4 weeks. I'm posting from my phone right now...not sure how to share a pic. I'll have to see if I can upload one tomorrow.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We rented two singles through apple for a reasonable price. The rubber grip on the handles was kind of damaged, but it was fine. I've read a few mixed reviews but we had a favorable experience. My 3 yo rode, as did my DD who just turned 7 (I know, that sounds terrible, but she is quite petite and when she's tired she. is. a. bear.) She hasn't been in a stroller for years, but I was glad to have one for her. She actually rode quite a bit. We went with two singles in our case, because I wasn't sure we really needed both. But she rode almost every day, and I was glad to have it. I never thought I'd use one with a 7 yo (!) but it was so nice to have. I liked having her contained when we were departing after fireworks, etc. too.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010