Thread: Turning FF

Default Turning FF

Any CPSTs still hang out here? I need someone to talk this out with me. We do extended RF- DS just turned 3. He is 36.5inches and just under 27lb, so pretty light for his age. He's RF in a Radian XT right now but has been complaining several times a week that he foot are "buzzing" while in the car for longer than just short errands. From what I can gather his feet are falling asleep, and I have to stop to rub his feet or let him get out to move around. DH wants to just turn him around and thinks I'm silly for wavering on that decision. I know he's more than old enough and should be fine but I can't help but want to keep him RF since he's well under the 35lb limit on his radian. Neither of my other kids had this issue (even DD, who rode in the same car seat and was even lighter so RF'd even longer).

A new seat could be an option but 1: we have 2 radians that have a few years before expiring so DH is not of the mind to buy another seat and 2: i'm not sure any other RF seat would really help with the foot falling asleep. I drive a Ford Freestyle crosover and there is a center console that makes foot placement awkward.

Any ideas? Just get over it and turn him, knowing he's been RF longer than the vast majority of kiddos despite still being within RF weight limits?

I'd turn him and mine were rear facing until 3 or weight limit (oldest was over the wieght limit at 23 mos, 99% guy).

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not a CPST anymore, but even when I was, I was fine with FF when my older son turned 3. I think he was at the limit, anyway. My younger son also FF after he turned 3.

Ok, thanks. It wasn't so much the age as the fact that size wise he's still so small that gave me pause. He will be thrilled.

usually when you turn FF they complain about their feet falling asleep because now they are dangling the the circulation is cut off. I would try teaching him other positions to put his feet in RF.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

I just never make it to my computer anymore...
    I'd maybe try doing a periodic in-seat car dance to keep his legs moving around and keep from falling asleep. Though FF at 3 isn't bad, and yeah, dangling legs FF is almost always worse (back pain, for my kids , until their legs were long enough to reach a plastic stepstool on the floor for leg support).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#