Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Considering an iPhone and ditching the flip phone!

So, I am finally considering buying an iPhone 5s, but I have a flip phone still, and am not technologically savvy, so I have a number of questions. So first, I do not know whether to get the 16GB or the 32 GB model...I currently have and use an iPod for listening to audio books in the car, and my iPod can store about 8GB on it I think. I am using all of that up. I could use the iPhone to also play my audiobooks, and ditch the iPod, but I believe I would then only have about 8 GB left on the 16GB iPhone to use for pics and videos and such. So my first question is: do you use your iPhone 5s a ton for pictures and video? How good is the quality on this model? If I am going to use the phone as my only camera on trips, then I am thinking I should go with the 32 GB model.

Second, as I am so scared that I will drop the 32GB or my toddler will get at it and drop it, does the iPhone come with some sort of accident insurance or coverage, and does this cost extra? On a similar note, can you recommend a great, protective case??

Third, how much data do you all typically use? The salesman I spoke with said he recommends everyone get 1 GB per month of data, which is about $40 per month I think! I don't see why I would need that much because I could simply connect to our at-home wifi, or free wifi at restaurants, etc, is that correct? Also, I cannot bring my phone into work, so I wouldn't even be using it 3 days out of the week for the most part.

Fourth, I am hoping to use this on an upcoming overseas trip, and the salesman told me the roaming fees are about .50 cents per minute to make calls. What if you connect with it to internet overseas? For anyone that's used the iPhone 5s in global mode, how easy/hard is it to change the phone to work over in another country?

Well, that's all to start off with. I'm sure I will have more questions! Thanks!!

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had a ipod and a flip phone and had to get a new phone. Decided to go with the iphone. I ended up with an iphone 4s as the best compromise of space and cost. Now, almost a year later, I'd probably look harder at the iphone 5.

I got an otterbox to put on the phone and its made it this long. OTOH, the ONLY times either of my kids get my phone is when they are sitting down and I'm monitoring the situation.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

I had an iPod touch and flip phone till late last summer. I've currently got a handed down iPhone 3GS so I'm still on the low end of things but a huge step up from my flip phone and iPod (really want a 5 just for the good camera!). I have 16g and it's plenty for my use, but I also have an iPad mini. I have mine on tmobile and pay $30/mo for their prepaid plan with unlimited text and data, 100 mins of talk- perfect plan for me because I don't like to talk on the phone much. I have an app from vonage (free and don't need to have their service) that allows me to make outgoing calls free using my unlimited data and no voice mins. This has been perfect for me. If you're still on a flip phone, I am guessing you're not a really heavy phone user? If so I'd really recommend looking at this plan. If you need more phone mins, their postpaid plans are cheaper than most others. If the coverage is decent in your area it's a great deal. Iirc the lowest postpaid plan is $50 for 500gb data with unlimited talk and text? I believe the data is technically unlimited but it's just the first 500 on the fast 4g network and if you go over they bump you down to the slow speed stuff.

As for data usage, I would start lower (if going with a traditional plan) because you can always upgrade if needed. I don't think I've ever used more than 250-300 a month. I'm not a heavy user and am connected to wifi when it's available but I frequently check email, Facebook, search google, etc several times a day in cell data. You just can't go streaming movies with lower data amounts.

Eta the plan I have is only available online or at walmart, not at tmo stores. If you decide to try it lmk and I'll give you more info on how to find it (not a referral, mods just a little tricky to set up at first).
    Last edited by calebsmama03; 04-14-2014 at 11:34 AM.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As far as I know, AppleCare costs $99 for 2 years of coverage. I haven't researched it in a while, though.

Most of your other questions are about your coverage plan, not an iPhone per se. How your service works overseas is dependent upon your carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc) not the phone. [ETA: Some countries use different technologies, so American products don't work there. I'm not sure if/how this issues applies to iPhones.]

I have a 300 Mb data plan. I can't imagine using 1G in a month, but I don't use any apps or do any downloads. I just browse and occasionally text. I tend to use 150 M or less per month. Yes, you can connect to WiFi at home or anywhere else that has public WiFi or where you have the password.
    Last edited by sariana; 04-14-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The only part of your questions I have experience with is the amount of storage. I had 16 gb on my first 2 iphones (3GS and 4S) and just went to 32gb with my 5s. With 16, I had to make sure to save my pics to my computer often, because I would run out of room and have to delete some. I do have a lot of apps, both for myself and for the kids. But that was without having any movies on my phone. If you think you would want to keep some movies on there, definitely go with 32.

ETA: To answer another of your questions, yes, my phone is almost always what I use for pics and video. I only drag out the video camera or dSLR for special occasions.
    Last edited by BDKmom; 04-14-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not sure what company you are going with. I have AT&T. DH and I share 10GB of data and we have unlimited talking and texting and our total bill comes to $102 a month. That is with a 15% discount on the voice plan (military discount). We do use a lot of data for maps, browsing and emailingI would start with a lower level and see what your usage is over the first few months, and adjust from there.

I would also recommend the 32GB. I started my iphone journey with an 8GB and upped to a 16 with the 5. Now I wish I had the 32 as photos and videos are filling up my storage very quickly.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Considering an iPhone and ditching the flip phone!

I use 1gb data/ month. I don't like logging on to public wi-fi a ton. I wish I had a 32 instead of 16. I constantly have to prune photos or apps. The ability to not have to worry about capacity so much would be great.

Eta- I do take pictures off but once on vacation once, I hit capacity. That sucked.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 04-14-2014 at 03:53 PM.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I use 1gb data/ month. I don't like logging on to public wi-fi a ton. I wish I had a 32 instead of 16. I constantly have to prune photos or apps. The ability to not have to worry about capacity so much would be great.
    although I don't mind taking photos or apps of my phone and only using the apps as needed. Even my sister who swore she'd never use her phone outside of home got 1gig and she is glad that she did. I use data for maps every so often and it is helpful, and sometimes if I can't get the wifi to work at my gym I will watch a 20 minute ep. of a tv show on my phone while I am on a cardio machine to keep me on it longer and I have never once gone over my data. I have 2 gigs of data and I have never gone over 1/1/2 gigs of data in a month and for the first month we had our phones we didn't have wifi at home.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thanks, everyone for your responses! For those that recommended a 32 GB phone, did you try uploading your pics to the cloud instead of leaving them on your phone? I was told by a colleague that he does that and then just downloads them to his home computer after a trip, so that doesn't use up space.

vonfirmath--I heard the Otterbox cases are great, but I was looking at reviews for the ones designed for the 5s and there is a extra cutout for the thumb print scanner which people are saying allows in a ton of dust/dirt. I"m not sure what to do about that.

Also, now I"m also debating about whether I should get the 5s or just wait until the fall when the iphone 6 comes out! There are rumors it has a bigger screen, which I would love, as that is my one gripe about the current iphone. I"m not sure how much $$ it would be though.

And yes, I forgot to mention what service we have. We would continue to use Verizon. I think it would be about $105 minimum for our monthly plan (with my husband continuing to use his flip phone), and getting unlimited text and voice.

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    I had a ipod and a flip phone and had to get a new phone. Decided to go with the iphone. I ended up with an iphone 4s as the best compromise of space and cost. Now, almost a year later, I'd probably look harder at the iphone 5.

I got an otterbox to put on the phone and its made it this long. OTOH, the ONLY times either of my kids get my phone is when they are sitting down and I'm monitoring the situation.
    I went from a Internet capable something to a 4s and just got DH a 4s for .99! Plus fees

The only gripe I have is my fone is full. I have the 16g. I like he droids capability to use a mini sd...bc I take tons of pics and hate cloud uploading and my computer is old and I have storage issues.

So I APPLE IS LISTENING make the iPhone with removable memory!!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast