Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    I don't know - if they've specifically excluded a mom (or group of moms) from other activities and then suddenly invite that mom (those moms) to a party where the host is asking for expensive gift donations I'd find it suspect. There's no way to tell if they will now start including those moms or just go back to excluding them after the party. Hopefully that isn't the case, but it does seem highly suspect that the first inclusion is for this party. :/
    I guess I just don't find this any more suspect or any more of a gift grab than little kids' birthday parties where there is no significantly developed social connection. However, at least where I live, parties are often seen as an acceptable starting point for getting to know people better - large group for a common shared celebratory purpose, makes for easy mingling with various guests, etc. If the host didn't invite the OP, she would still be seen as being exclusionary, but if she invites the OP, it's a gift grab? That's a pretty no-win situation looking at it from the other side. Entry into a new social group has to start somewhere, and a shower or party seems like as reasonable a place to start as any.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    I guess I just don't find this any more suspect or any more of a gift grab than little kids' birthday parties where there is no significantly developed social connection. However, at least where I live, parties are often seen as an acceptable starting point for getting to know people better - large group for a common shared celebratory purpose, makes for easy mingling with various guests, etc. If the host didn't invite the OP, she would still be seen as being exclusionary, but if she invites the OP, it's a gift grab? That's a pretty no-win situation looking at it from the other side. Entry into a new social group has to start somewhere, and a shower or party seems like as reasonable a place to start as any.
    I agree with all of this. I'm so disheartened at how many people view celebrations and being invited as "gift grabs" in general. Makes you almost not want to invite anyone over for anything . . . And nice parties are far more work and expense than any amount of gift closet clearance items from Target or a small shower gift.

sweetsue98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I always thought showers were for close friends and family. If the preggo moms are people you would like to get to know then I would attend. If not don't attend. Maybe this would spark future friendships.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5