I've asked questions about HMDs before, but this is new for me....

background: very friendly neighborhood. several neighbors have passed HMDs to me for the kids since moving here. two do so every single season. I pass back to a couple of them. it's great.

I have a new baby this year, which means new hand me downs for someone ELSE. there just so happens to be 4 pregnant ladies on the street right now, only one having a girl so she gets them all by default. we are friendly, but i wouldn't go as far as to say "friends." she's an absolute doll, though. it's her first girl, second child.

I've started passing her HMDs from DD2. Two loads so far. I didn't pass on anything that was obviously stained or damaged in any way. I tend to gravitate toward higher end brands. All that to say, it's nice stuff and a lot of stuff. The first time I sent stuff down, she sent back a thank you note, flowers, and two outfits for DD2. At the time, I thought it might be because DD2 had just had surgery and that's what the gifts were for....

but THIS time with the second box of HMDs, she has responded with a thank you note and a $25 giftcard to target!

she does NOT need to be sending me something in return for these. They are going to be donated if I don't hand them down to her, you know? And I certainly don't respond with gifts when other neighbors give us hand-me-downs. (maybe I should?) though, in two of the 3 cases, i've been able to respond "in kind" by giving hand me downs for another child (like the mom with older boys has a younger girl, so i get her big boy stuff and pass to her my girl stuff, kwim?)

further complicating this is that I felt like it was possible I was overhwelming her with stuff, so I sent her a message. Her response baffled me...here it is, can you help me? this is over text message, my initial text to her is first and then her response.

Me: "So, I'm clearing out my closet....am I totally overwhelming you with hand me downs? I don't want to be a pain in the neck for you! Let me know if you would like me to find another home for our outgrowns!"
Her: "haha ! I appreciate them. If you have other people in mind that is fine too! Whatever you would like I can see what I can use if you don't have anyone else in mind!"

So, should I keep sending her hand me downs? is she politely trying to get me to stop? Also, I feel like I want to make it clear that I don't expect ANYTHING in return. I absolutely do not want her to keep gifting to me every time I send her a bag....the sheer amount of stuff I have, you have no idea. spoiled is not the right word for my youngest. LOL the gifting would get obscene! and now do I need to send a thank you for her thank you? I'm so confused by this!

and I'm overthinking it, I'm sure, but these are our neighbors and I don't want to cause any neighbor conflicts. TIA!