JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default WWYD: Spec ed teacher leaving right after promises were made?

So, I had yet another meeting with the special ed admin. about things that were still not being done for dd. It seemed to be a good meeting, and the spec ed admin agreed to

--some additions I wanted the IEP; she said the spec ed teacher would make them by next Wed.
    --that she would work with the spec ed teacher on how to teach dd specific strategies for reading comp. this was one of my biggest issues--this was supposed to happen a while ago, and hasnt. Dd is not progressing without this.
    --that the spec ed teacher would provide the accommodations in dd's IEP that she thus far has not provided; similarly to the reading comp, dd is not progressing as she would if she had these accommodations.

So, great, right? When I pick up dd (it was my short work day), she informs me that today was the spec ed teacher's last day. I go and ask the gen ed teacher (who I have a great relationship with) and she explains that, yes, spec ed teacher will no longer be working with our kids. She took a position at the school we share a bldg with that was created by that teacher's leave. Spec ed teacher will still write our kids' IEPs, but not teach them. Gen ed teacher is unsure about what will happen.

I e-mail the admin. and ask what the plan is regarding the things we discussed, given this situation. FWIW, the most concerning/time sensitive to me is the reading comp. piece (dont want to give you too much to read regarding the details of why). I don't hear back, but today I get a form letter that went out to all the "IEP families" explaining that there will be a sub, and they will hire someone in the "near future". Yes, spec ed teacher moving to the other school will still write the IEPs. This was written by a different administrator.

So, here's my question..and I know I have a lot of details not in here. Would you/can I demand that they find a way to provide someone (who knows what they are doing ) to provide the reading comp instruction to dd? This has been going on for 3 years without these things happening. There are less than 2 months of the school year left. It takes quite a while for a new hire to happen. Dd goes to middle school in the Fall. I hope this makes sense and appreciate any responses!
    Last edited by JustMe; 04-17-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So your DD just has 6/7 weeks left? It seems like it would be almost impossible for the district to find the right person for the job, for that person to step in a familiarize themselves enough with each IEP to then make lesson plans and implement changes that need to be made. Yikes!

If at all possible, I would try to find an outside tutor to help your DD with the reading comprehension (maybe even over summer vacation?) and just hope that the sub will do an ok job of managing this as is. Since she is moving on to a different school in the fall (not the same school or with the same instructor, right?) I would try to not make too many demands now as far as the replacement (new hire) goes.

I am sorry! That is terrible the current teacher left after just agreeing to changes and so little of the year left!
    K

Sorry that must be so frustrating. I would prioritize getting a copy of your IEP with the updates that the departing teacher promised - that's the only way to make the changes you requested legal. With that in hand, you then have the right to file a complaint to the state department of education if they aren't providing the services as written. It's on them to figure that out with subs, and I would also consider making them aware you will be requesting service logs for the sessions with the new reading instruction. If they can't provide the services written in the IEP due to their staffing issues, then you can bring up compensatory services - perhaps during a ESY/summer school type program given the approaching end of the school year.

Have you been recording IEP meetings? It sounds like it may be past time to do so, especially if they aren't writing up the changes directly into the IEP during those meetings. That sounds super-shady to me. Ours always have the document open, and someone tasked with showing us exactly what was typed, getting copies before we leave, etc.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by annex View Post
    Sorry that must be so frustrating. I would prioritize getting a copy of your IEP with the updates that the departing teacher promised - that's the only way to make the changes you requested legal. With that in hand, you then have the right to file a complaint to the state department of education if they aren't providing the services as written. It's on them to figure that out with subs, and I would also consider making them aware you will be requesting service logs for the sessions with the new reading instruction. If they can't provide the services written in the IEP due to their staffing issues, then you can bring up compensatory services - perhaps during a ESY/summer school type program given the approaching end of the school year.

Have you been recording IEP meetings? It sounds like it may be past time to do so, especially if they aren't writing up the changes directly into the IEP during those meetings. That sounds super-shady to me. Ours always have the document open, and someone tasked with showing us exactly what was typed, getting copies before we leave, etc.
    HUGE It is so hard to find qualified Sp Ed teachers, that I can't imagine they'll get this accomplished in any short order. But, like the wise PP posted, they should make up the time that she should have had (with the compensatory services) if they don't find someone.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.