mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Question for Kindle users

For the first time, I have recently started borrowing e-books from the public library to read on my kindle (love this! Why wasn't I doing this before????). Anyway, I just went into the manage your kindle function on Amazon because I wanted to return two books that I've finished. It lists all the books I have currently on my kindle, including a number of free dictionaries that it does not allow me to delete, and apparently came on my device. When I look at my kindle itself, it says that I have the OED and the New Oxford American Dictionary on my kindle (neither of which I would use from my kindle, so they're basically taking up space for no reason). But what's odd is that in the listing of what's on my device on the Manage My Kindle page on the Amazon website are 4 "free dictionaries" that do not show up on my device, all of them are Chinese. this is what it says:

Free Dictionary Xian Dai Han Yu Ci Dian (现代汉语词典) (Chinese Edition
    Free Dictionary 现代英汉词典
    Free Dictionary 新华词典 (Chinese Edition)
    Free Dictionary A Modern Chinese-English Dictionary (现代汉英词典) (Chinese Edition)

I'm confused. Why are these there. I do not speak Chinese, have no need for a Mandarin-English dictionary, and these do not show up on my kindle itself. Anyone else ever seen this?

DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The dictionaries get pushed to the Kindle from Amazon sometimes. They are what the Kindle uses if you highlight a word to look up the definition. I have not notice Chinese, but I know I have deleted other language dictionaries in the past.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yea, Amazon essentially forces the dictionaries on you and even if you delete them from your cloud they will reappear. You're lucky if they aren't showing up on the Kindle itself. When I got my son's new Kindle Fire in December, I had to delete them manually from it. I can't remember if I did it through a file manager app I downloaded, or if I hooked up the Kindle to may computer and browsed it like a drive and deleted them that way. Whatever I did, it worked and they haven't come back, though they are still in my archive/cloud.