Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for all your input! Chicken Kiev, welcome to Easter!

this reminds me of a conversation I had around Christmas time with a fellow nurse who is seperated and has a teenager. She says for 16 years she has made the same xmas meal and this year it was just them (usually her parents are there but they were in FL). She asked if he wanted her to do the "traditional Christmas meal" or if they wanted to change it up. He said "we have a traditional meal? What is it?" So instead of the whole meal she made lasagne!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    this reminds me of a conversation I had around Christmas time with a fellow nurse who is seperated and has a teenager. She says for 16 years she has made the same xmas meal and this year it was just them (usually her parents are there but they were in FL). She asked if he wanted her to do the "traditional Christmas meal" or if they wanted to change it up. He said "we have a traditional meal? What is it?" So instead of the whole meal she made lasagne!
    Oh, that's funny!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We've been making baked ham from Trader Joe's but if I wanted to follow my favorite "tradition" from my family, I would have to be a lot more religiously inclined than I am at present.

My grandparents, who are Slovak, take food to church on Holy Saturday to be blessed. Usually it's kielbasa and hard cooked eggs, sometimes an egg-based bread (similar to challa, but not challa, if that makes sense) as well.

We're offered these foods at Easter dinner on Easter Sunday.

I guess what I'm saying is we make our own traditions. If your family loves Chicken Kiev, by all means serve that for Easter dinner! There's a lot of symbolism with different foods - eggs, lamb, etc. - but if nobody will eat that but you & DH, it's more likely to create resentment than anything else, in my opinion. "Traditions" should be meaningful to your whole family and they can evolve as your family's needs change.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2